This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Updating my video card

chuckbattams

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:36:20 am

I tried to do it with in Zorin .... system tools, preferences then additional drivers.
I shows me my drivers, but will not install/update them, so I went to the video driver company Ge Force and downloaded the linux64 driver for my video card.
Well I changed open with terminal, but terminal says it needs to be root.
I then try to copy to root, but I'm not allowed access to that directory.

Did some research on this forum, learned to use gnome commander, so I downloaded it, and tried, no success, still denied access to move the file over.

Any thing else for me to do?

Chuck

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:29:58 pm

There are several commands to take ownersip of a file - one is 'chown' which I am familiar with, the other needs quite a bit of bash script (but wait to be corrected) 'chmod'.
To run as 'root' open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Don't use the same Terminal window to use copy commands - open a fresh one.

chuckbattams

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:00:45 pm

I've tried the chown command, then typed gksudo nautilus, it just gave me

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"

** (nautilus:16864): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

(nautilus:16864): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(nautilus:16864): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.0/./gobject/gsignal.c:2580: instance '0x7f74a0003aa0' has no handler with id '104'

(nautilus:16864): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 111 was not found when attempting to remove it

(nautilus:16864): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 112 was not found when attempting to remove it

(nautilus:16864): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 113 was not found when attempting to remove it

so then with a bit of reading in the group, I opened up the file manager to my download directory and via properties, permissions, gave it full executable.

Then opened terminal, and dragged the file into the terminal window, after about a minute, or less, I got the message...

NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux

ERROR: nvidia-installer must be run as root

OK

NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux www.nvidia.com

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way I can get the update via the 'sudo get-apt' in terminal, or via 'software centre' ?
I have tried software centre, with no luck though :(

Chuck

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56:46 pm

Hi, if it's an nvidia card, go to the Software Updater (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater - then click on 'Settings' then select the 'Additional Drivers' tab and select the newest that comes back listed:

Software Updater Settings.jpg

chuckbattams

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:22:49 pm

Swarfendor.....

I think its cool how Your getting pics of the desktop, I"m going to have to learn how to do that.
I just figured out what's happening, I installed zorin on a 10 gig partition, and for some reason it's full, so there is no space for the program to work with.
Can't figure out how 10 gig got used up, but it has, and I cannot figure out how to add more space, by taking another 10 or so gig off the windows HD.

Looks like I'm into another re'install, and I'm not into that yet, but thanks for the suggestions/help :)

Chuck

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:27:32 pm

Tutorial video on how to post screenshots here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

:D

chuckbattams

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:16:29 pm

Well I'm finally up and at em, Zorin #9 now in again, this time gave 20 gig, but I cannot find a way to adjust the screen, as you can see ... even using compiz configuration and enabling screen resizing, I cannot find the buttons for that, gone through the menu and ... well unless I'm blind, it's not there

any info would be appreciated, would like to have full proper screen access.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58:50 am

Hi, at work so not in Zorin - can you find 'Window Decoration' anywhere in Compiz? Make sure that is checkmarked.

Also, if that does not work, install ubuntu tweak.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

When you have installed it it won't show up - so open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
ubuntu-tweak

After it launches, pin it to the panel by right-clicking and choosing the correct option.

Then go to 'Tweaks' Tab then choose 'Themes' - then choose 'Zorin theme' under Windows and see if that solves it! ;)

If you mean resizing for screen settings this should be under 'Display' in Menu | System Tools | System Settings. :D

Keep us posted.