This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] System hangs at Start the Live DVD

Dude

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10:06 pm

I burned the image file on a DVD+R at the slowest speed I could. Popped the dvd in and restarted my computer. And the screen came up for the Zorin 8OS. I hit the 'enter' key, and the computer just hangs there. I waited for over two hours and it didn't do anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

My computer is running an Athlon XP 3200+ cpu
2.5GB of Ram
an ATI Radeon HD 4600 series graphics card
and I'm running Windows Vista 32bit SP2

I used the search tool and read as much as I could in here, and still haven't found the same problem as mine.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:57:56 am

Hi, 8 was a nice interface but sadly end-of-life - just like Ubunut 13.10 on which it was based.

You need to be running Zorin 9 for Long Term Support (LTS) as it won't end until April 2019.

After you have downloaded, always check the md5sum - how to video on my veoh.com - just search for my user name to bring up all vids. :D

Dude

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:56:20 pm

Thank you. Now, considering what system I have, should I download the 32 bit or the 64 bit Zorin 9? Or does it matter? I was thinking about that last night.

Thank you again.

Henriolavi

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:21:05 pm

Hi, yes it does matter in many different ways.

Here is a link to clarify the selection of 32 vs. 64 bit and PAE/NonPAE versions.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6883

Hope you can sleep better now.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:03:51 pm

Hi, 32-bit tends to be more stable - plus the fact if you have any peripherals that may not have 65-bit drivers in Windows are unlikely to work in GNU/Linux either! :D

I have a 64-bit system but currently using 32-bit 9 Ultimate - and enjoying using it! Clearly the biggest issue will be whether you have a large amount of RAM as well as a 64-bit processor - you won't get more than 3 Gb of RAM in use with the generic 32-bit system but if you have PAE that should allow all of your available RAM. And if you have a 32-bit processor then 65-bit will simply not run - and it will tell you so at boot time! :D

Dude

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:54:43 pm

I got it installed! I know why it was hanging up before. I had downloaded the 64 bit, and my system is a 32 bit. So I guess that problem is resolved.

One thing though is, there must have been a glitch of something, because I selected Zorin to be installed ALONG SIDE Windows, and it REPLACED Windows instead. Vista sucked, but I had a couple of games I liked playing on it. I wonder if there is a way to get that back.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:35:30 am

Hi, I have never done this but madvinegar has stated elsewhere on here where others had similar issues, and 'don't write anymore to disc'!!!!!! Boot the live Zorin disc and run 'Test Disk' to get Vista back.

If you want dual-boot - install using the 'something else' method. I have done the first part of the tutorial video - still having ongoing problems uploading part2 but at least you will get some idea:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v76000025mjZfXnw3

Plus see Matthew Moore's video - link here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

:D

Dude

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:01:27 pm

I got it! It was all my fault. It starts in what appears to be Zorin, but it's a list. I just thought it would look different. As you can tell, I am very new to Zorin and to dual boot computers.

So I guess you can mark this post as resolved. Thank you for all your help.

Be warned, I will be posting about this laptop I have from 1996. In another post of course.