This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Zorin 9.0 Ultimate won't load

larryag99

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18:29 am

Hello... I'm new to Linux and Zorin. I purchased the 9.0 Ultimate version but can't get it loaded. On startup I can hear/see the optical drive light reading, and the Zorin logo appears on the screen, but that's it. The drive appears to read for over 2-minutes, then light goes out, but nothing happens. Logo stays on screen and system appears to be locked.

System: HP-400 // Intel I3-4330 - 3.50GHz // 8-GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz // 1-TB 7200 HD // System is brand new (refurbished) with only Win-7 PRO installed from factory (which works fine), and no other programs or data except Google Chrome installed.

Also tried a known good version of Ubuntu, but it does the same thing, loads (from USB stick), logo appears, then nothing.

Sounds like something with the machine but can't imagine what. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:06:57 pm

Hi, you state it is a refurbished system - all Zorin discs/images are for DVD and not CD - you do have at the very least an optical drive that can read DVD's? You may also need one of these:

http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

If all you have is a CD-ROM/CD-RW it ain't going to work!

Another possible culprit is the graphics chipset which will need some boot code alterations.

In the meantime take a look at installing using command line by decalman:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810#p38714

larryag99

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:00:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. Optical drive is indeed a DVD. However the second half of your reply lead me to the solution, so thank you very much. Zorin is now installing as expected.
The problem... graphics. The motherboard had an integrated video driver, and, there was an additional graphics card installed. Given that I was not planning on doing any high-end graphics, and given that I was trying to quickly get Zorin loaded, I connected the monitor to the integrated graphics connection instead of the add-on card connection. Once I reconnected the monitor to the graphics card connection... all went well.
Again, thank you very much for your reply.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:24:06 pm

No problem, glad you are sorted! :D Will mark as [RESOLVED] :D