This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Install Win-10 on Zorin drive

larryag99

Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:01:33 pm

I have the same request as another... sort of. I have a desktop system running Zorin Ultimate. Drives (two 1-TB HD's) were formatted prior to installing Zorin. I installed Zorin, and its working fine, now I wanted to install the beta-version of Windows-10 to try it out. Wondering if there is a way to either partition the boot drive at this point for dual-boot, or, set up the secondary 1-TB drive for Windows partition and installation. In the end I would like to be able to boot into either Windows-10, or Zorin.
Possible??? If so, any thoughts on how to accomplish this? There is noting of value on either drive, so I guess the easiest way would be to load the Windows disk and install Windows (effectively removing Zorin), then re-install Zorin, selecting the dual boot option. Anything I should be cautious about going the re-install route, like file system type mentioned above for the SSD (keeping in mind my drives are conventional HD's) ?

UPDATE: Proceeded installing Win-10 as if Zorin was not installed. Win-10 installed easily without any issues. Once Win-10 was up and running without any issues, I proceeded to install Zorin Ultimate from DVD. This is the very same DVD I had used to successfully install Zorin previously. However this time was unsuccessful. First, when I selected to "install" Zorin, it told me there was no operating system detected. Perhaps it doesn't recognize Win-10 yet. Might be something someone would want to take a look at. From that point the install attempt went downhill from there (kept saying no root available regardless of where I attempted to put it). After finally giving up and exiting out of the install process, Zorin loaded (not to be confused with installed) properly from disk, and I was able to navigate around using Zorin OS. Next, I exited Zorin, removed the DVD, and rebooted the computer. Win-10 loaded with no adverse effects of the attempt to install Zorin.
So... question now is... how (if its even possible) to get Zorin installed on the system in a dual-boot configuration with Win-10 already installed (given that Zorin Ultimate 9.0 does not recognize Win-10). However, I would still be interested in proposed procedure for installing Win-10 with Zorin already installed. At this point i can install either OS first, but in the end would like to have both installed and playing well together (albeit independently).

Any thoughts ???

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:46:26 am

Hi, Take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

The same process should apply - what you could do is put Windows 10 preview on the drive that has nothing on - then simply swap your boot order in the BIOS - turn off any fast-boot settings in Windows in the hidden part of Power Settings - this is where Windows 8.1 (and presumably 10 preview - not delved too much yet) puts the drive to sleep instead of switching it off - and also means you cannot access the drive from Zorin! :D

Pierre

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:29:56 am

would have just run Win-10 in a VB
- give it 2Gb ram, just to be safe. :)

larryag99

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:46:45 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

The same process should apply - what you could do is put Windows 10 preview on the drive that has nothing on - then simply swap your boot order in the BIOS - turn off any fast-boot settings in Windows in the hidden part of Power Settings - this is where Windows 8.1 (and presumably 10 preview - not delved too much yet) puts the drive to sleep instead of switching it off - and also means you cannot access the drive from Zorin! :D

Swarfendor437... WORKED !!! The video was a great help. Although I was installing Zorin Ultimate, the concepts outlined in the video worked with a little adaptation. I now have both OS's on the machine, with a selection screen at startup. Woo-Hoo !

Thanks so much for your help !

Larry

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:14:15 am

Glad you are sorted! Will mark as [SOLVED]! :D

Just to add, if things go awry with Windows and on the same drive you can reinstall Windows, reinstall Easy-BCD, and start over - it worked for me but then I found out I had a failing drive! :D