This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Clean single OS Installation

G-Man

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:08:33 am

I am building a small system which will only have Zorin as the OS. I downloaded the .iso file on a Windows 7 box and created a bootable USB drive with UNetbootin. I then booted the new system with the USB stick and get a grub command line... This is different than the installation instructions on the web page. Am I missing a step? How do I install the OS from grub (having never used it before)?

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:32:04 pm

Hi, sadly I ditched Unetbootin in favour of MultiSystem 3 - downside - for you - is it only runs on a GNU/Linux install. Can you not burn a DVD? :D

G-Man

Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:43:20 pm

I can and did. I took the .iso download and burned it to a DVD but upon trying on the new system the media is not bootable. The DVD burning software can make the disk bootable by adding a boot loader - which would bring me back to GRUB.

What is the GRUB command which will start the install?

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:46:26 pm

If you want to install via text mode then I would advise following decalman's excellent tutorial in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810#p38810

G-Man

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50:37 am

The text mode isn't an option as I don't get to the point where I can enter F6.

I decided to download the recommended CD Burner software and create a new DVD from the .iso file. This time the system recognizes the DVD and boots into the Zorin LiveDVD application. I am currently running the installation program. Apparantly the first burner software package didn't work properly.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:09:55 pm

No worries - glad to be of help! :D