This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Live Disc black/white scrren

iak

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:47:15 pm

Hey,
I downloaded Zorin OS 9 Lite to install it on an old PC. But if I boot first comes the Zorin logo but after a while I just have black and white stripes on my screen. What should I do?

PC specs:
Processor: AMD 64 3200+ 2,4GHz
RAM: 1GB
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 7300SE

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:13:13 pm

Hi, firstly:

1. Did you download using Firefox/Opera and you DID NOT use a download accelerator?

2. Did you check the md5 sum after download?: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

2. You have ever cleaned your Optical Drive with this or something similar?: http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

3. What software did you use to burn the image? I always recommend imgburn and nothing else - to avoid confusion on the imgburn site, download from http://ninite.com

4. Did you burn at slowest speed your optical drive can burn at?

iak

Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:21:38 pm

Hi,
here some answeres to your questions.

1. yes
2. yes they match
2. no
3. I used xfburn cause I burned it on an other PC witch uses Linux
4. yes

I now tried the Zorin OS 8 lite. This one works fine and I could install it without problems. When I'm now booting the disk with Zorin OS 9 lite it boots and shows me the last Desktop of when Zorin OS 8 was running. Wich is really strange. There I have no mouse cursor and I can't do anything on this Desktop. But I can go to the tty consoles. There I can change the folders and look whats inside.

Any ideas what to do?

Is there maybe an other way to upgrade from Zorin OS 8 to Zorin OS ?

PS: the disks boots on my laptop fine.

after a few hours where the pc was off theres are now the black and white stripes again

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:10:00 pm

Apologies for not renumbering my list! :oops:

I guess you only have a lightweight distro using xf-burn - which is usually good by the way. Funny you mentioned about wallpaper showing up from 8 - I get this on Zorin 9 Core (and wallpaper from another Distro on another Drive!!! :o briefly before it settles.

It is hard to say what to do but you should not be using Zorin 8 as it is end of life. Have you tried editing the boot parameters with any of the following?:

Code:
acpi=off, nomodeset, forcevesa, nolapic

If it still won't work I would recommend LXLE.net - only downside is it is only available via torrent.

iak

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:53:56 pm

I haven't tryed to editing the boot parameters yet. Can you say me where to change it?

And I know lightweigt distros are good and I really like that one I'm using. But Zorin should be for my Parents who used Windows for a long time so my distro won't be the best for them.

If changing the boot parameters won't help I will try LXLE

Thanks for your Help

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:50:17 am

Hi, Not running Lite at present - guess I had better get to it and see where to edit there - will look on the net first.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:52:43 am

Here you go - Zorin Lite is based on Lubunutu (basically it is ubuntu with LXDE (Lightweight X [display] Desktop Environment):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1843257

iak

Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:53:43 pm

Hey,
I don't think changing the grub entries on the HDD will help with my problem. Cause it boots from the DVD and into the RAM so changing something on the HDD won't change anything with this. But I will give it a try. I will inform you if it worked or not and will search on.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:42:00 pm

Is there any way you can try and press F6 key and select "acpi=off"?:

28.png

iak

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:24:22 pm

Hey
I now made it to install zorin on the PC with your trick thanks a lot. But now I have the problem that the resolution doesn't fit and I can't change it on the easy way. But I'm sure I will find a solution for this in an other post.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:57:04 pm

HI, if this is the SIS carrd issue, please take a look at my response - you might be lucky, or you might not - only time will tell! ;)