This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin-WinXp installation problem

Triple-T

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:00:46 pm

I’m facing a problem with my Zorin installation.
I installed the OS in a old computer running Windows Xp.
WinXP is installed on the C-drive (IDE-0 40GB)
Another 300gb drive contains document, music, pictures,etc.
This is a SATA drive but is connected to a PCI card with internal and external sata connectors because the MB has no sata connectors.

I booted with the Zorin CD and did a try first, it looked good so I launched the installation from within the Zorin OS.
The Zorin installation created an extra partition on the SATA drive.
Installation went fine, at the end I choose the option to reboot but the pc won’t reboot and was stuck with a Zorin light blue screen.
After 20minutes I did a hard reset and the PC won’t boot anymore.
I get the error : no such device followed by guid
I already tried the boot repair disk but same problem after repairing, the is the link to the pastebin http://paste.ubuntu.com/8907311/.

In the BIOS of my motherboard (ECS-K7S5A) does not detect the SATA drive, the drive works perfect in Windows though.
I think this is causing the problem.

What can I do to be able to boot into WinXP again.
Can’t I install zorin on the SATA drive?

Thanks for your help!

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:16:17 pm

Could you run Zorin live and post a screenshot of what GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) shows for each drive?

Many thanks.

Updated 12.11.2014 - I have created an instructional video on my veoh.com account on how to upload a screenshot - please be awared that you need Opera to do this - you can 'install' Opera even in 'Live Mode' - I have done it myself in the past! :D

Triple-T

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:39:19 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Could you run Zorin live and post a screenshot of what GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) shows for each drive?

Many thanks.

Updated 12.11.2014 - I have created an instructional video on my veoh.com account on how to upload a screenshot - please be awared that you need Opera to do this - you can 'install' Opera even in 'Live Mode' - I have done it myself in the past! :D

I can do it when i'm back home but isn't this info also available in this link http://paste.ubuntu.com/8907311/
The PC boots in GRUB Resue mode
The LS command only show the hd0 (IDE drive) not the sata drive.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:46:55 pm

True - it is just easier to see in graphical representation mode - can't upload now as at work.

Here is a link to another poster:

download/file.php?id=3470&mode=view