This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Advice on Manual Install Zorin 9

alpha1

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:12:26 am

Hi Guys
Further to my previous post and issues i have had with update and Memory

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8628

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8306

I have opted for a new install - However knowing that i will run into defeculties here may i seek any advice as to how best to go about doing a manual install
step by step please.

I have had to resort to Ubuntu 14.10 as a os for the time being but i am finding it very slow and not very responsive.
I like my systems to be fast and responsive i am use to Zorin and would like to continue but i know i am going to have defeculties installing it as it keeps hanging and doing reports.
For an install that should be no more than an hour never installs.

I believe it must be me - What am i doing wrong?

I have followed your installing procedures here

http://zorin-os.com/installguide.html

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:57:06 pm

Hi, the issue with Zorin 9 taking so long at first install will occur if you select 'install updates at time of install' - if you are prepared to wait, it will work. Now the first thing you should do is run Zorin in Live Mode - if it launches from your DVD or USB without any issue then you are 'good to go'.

Basically, depending on a reasonable size hard drive this is how I would do it:

1. Boot from DVD and go to the 'live' desktop, then click on the 'install to hard drive' icon on the desktop.

2. When it asks you how you want to install, choose the last option - 'something else'
Now the crucial bit will depend on whether you are using a standard PATA (IDE) SATA drive OR SSD - if either IDE or SATA - '/' and '/home' need to be formatted to 'ext4' - if you are using a Solid State Drive you may need to 'trim' the drive and format to 'ext2'.

3. For me a single install of Zorin and nothing else would be like this:

a. Create a Primary Partition, format to ext4 (if SATA drive) and size it to 30 Gb (30000), and mark it '/' - this tells GRUB where the system files are to boot the OS.

b. Create an Extended Partition of the rest of the drive and first, create a 'swap area' AT THE END OF THE PARTITION - you do not have to specify what filesystem this is as it automatically creates the correct one. [Updated 21:54 hrs GMT - forgot to mention size of swap - this can be 2048 (2 Gb) or 4096 (4 Gb).]
]
c. At the BEGINNING OF THE EXTENDED PARTITION, format this to 'ext4' file system and mark as '/home'

See my dual boot video which is what I did - it is just the same apart from living alongside Windows - the only difference is, if you are not intending to dual-boot, is to ensure that you place GRUB (bootloader) in the mbr or your drive. :D

alpha1

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04:49 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, the issue with Zorin 9 taking so long at first install will occur if you select 'install updates at time of install' - if you are prepared to wait, it will work. Now the first thing you should do is run Zorin in Live Mode - if it launches from your DVD or USB without any issue then you are 'good to go'.

Basically, depending on a reasonable size hard drive this is how I would do it:

1. Boot from DVD and go to the 'live' desktop, then click on the 'install to hard drive' icon on the desktop.

2. When it asks you how you want to install, choose the last option - 'something else'
Now the crucial bit will depend on whether you are using a standard PATA (IDE) SATA drive OR SSD - if either IDE or SATA - '/' and '/home' need to be formatted to 'ext4' - if you are using a Solid State Drive you may need to 'trim' the drive and format to 'ext2'.

3. For me a single install of Zorin and nothing else would be like this:

a. Create a Primary Partition, format to ext4 (if SATA drive) and size it to 30 Gb (30000), and mark it '/' - this tells GRUB where the system files are to boot the OS.

b. Create an Extended Partition of the rest of the drive and first, create a 'swap area' AT THE END OF THE PARTITION - you do not have to specify what filesystem this is as it automatically creates the correct one. [Updated 21:54 hrs GMT - forgot to mention size of swap - this can be 2048 (2 Gb) or 4096 (4 Gb).]
]
c. At the BEGINNING OF THE EXTENDED PARTITION, format this to 'ext4' file system and mark as '/home'

See my dual boot video which is what I did - it is just the same apart from living alongside Windows - the only difference is, if you are not intending to dual-boot, is to ensure that you place GRUB (bootloader) in the mbr or your drive. :D

Ok This will be my second attemp at trying this out - wish me luck

Just found that my BB may well have been faulty - getting checked out speed only 15 down 8 up
May be why the system may have been hanging
Will keep you posted

Thanks for the update

alpha1

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:52:43 am

Sorry this dos not seem to be working
Still hanging around "Creating User"
Started yesterday this morning still the same
I have not selected install updates - i have just left it to do its thing

Last report states: -
Dec 10 09:17 01 zorin-os CRON[24355]: (root0 CMD 9 cd / && run-parts --report etc/cron.hourly)

any advice her guys?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:02:06 pm

Forgot to mention: DON'T use capital letters in username, DON't use hyphens in computer name - even if installer suggests it - one word/numbers - NO SPACES! and finally, DO NOT attempt to encrypt /home folder at time of install.

Also in your case you may need to follow decalman's text method of installation:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38771#p38771

alpha1

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Forgot to mention: DON'T use capital letters in username, DON't use hyphens in computer name - even if installer suggests it - one word/numbers - NO SPACES! and finally, DO NOT attempt to encrypt /home folder at time of install.

Also in your case you may need to follow decalman's text method of installation:

Ok noted not an issue here will do

What about Encryption of HDD and Home Folder Later will this be poss.

alpha1

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:39:18 pm

alpha1 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Forgot to mention: DON'T use capital letters in username, DON't use hyphens in computer name - even if installer suggests it - one word/numbers - NO SPACES! and finally, DO NOT attempt to encrypt /home folder at time of install.

Ok noted not an issue here will do

What about Encryption of HDD and Home Folder Later will this be poss.

Congratulations Congratulations

Well Done Swarfendor437
Congratulations, Congratulations are in order.

Well Done Swarfendor437

Problem resolved
The only thing that i will say is that future installs should not be this difficult - it may well be me but we have got to the root of the problem
Hope things are better going forward

I love Zorin for the following reasons it afford me a
Encrypted HDD
Encrypted Home Folder and its Quick
the security over all i am pleased with.
So thanks guys

Lets hope you all have a Good Christmas and a very fruitful New Year.

Many Thanks for your Help

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:52:38 pm

No problem friend - glad you are now 'sorted'! :D