This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

instalation

Erndog

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21:08 am

I am trying to install zorin 9 as a dual boot with Win 8.1 but when I do it tells me that no OS was detected. I'm afraid to go any further for fear that I might lose Win 8.1
Can u provide me wth instruction to complete a dual boot set-up
Thx

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:35:31 pm

Hi, Take a look at Matthew Moore's instructional video, link here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6500#p30970

Erndog

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:13:46 am

Thx for the reply but im still experiencing some problems
I followed the instructions on the link below as well as watched the Matthew Moore video (2X). I shrank the Win partition then created 3 partitions within that per the link instructions.
I then clicked install and I got a warning that I had to create a Seperate Partition for boot loader code and should be marked as "Reserved Bios Boot Area" and should be at least 1MB.
It said I could continue without doing it but it could cause problems later.
Any ideas what this all means.
I have Win 8.1 installed. I burnt Zorin 9 core to a disk.
Using a brand new Dell Inspiron 3000

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/0 ... ndows.html

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:03:10 pm

End of lunch - will get back to you later. :D

Erndog

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:22:28 pm

My problem has a changed a bit. I installed Zorin 9 but I am having problems with the BCD installer. So I downloaded the OS-Uninstaller to uninstall Zorin9 (for now) but i doesn't work unless I am in a live session. How do I get into a "live" session with Zorin9 installed. When I tried booting to it from the boot disk it did not offer the page to just "try it" it goes directly to the installed version.
I think I'm a bit over my head on this. So any help to get me back to just Win8 (for now) would be greatly appreciated.

Erndog

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:36:12 am

Ok, I was able to resolve my snafu. So now I have installed a second HD (D:) and I would like to install zorin on it and leave Win 8 on the original HD (C:).
The zorin install disk does not allow me to select the drive location. So how would I get it on my D: drive?

Anonymous

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:43:48 am

Very Easy .....
Unplug all drives accept the drive you are using for the installation.
After your done with the installation/updates...........
Plug the other drives back in...........
All Done !!!!

Anonymous

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:52:45 am

If you have problems with dual-boot via [ Windows 8.1 ]

Look at the screenshot below.......
Disable where it says [ Turn On Fast startup {recommended} ]

Erndog

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:14:32 am

I was able to install zorin on my D: HD . I reconnected the data cable to the C: HD. Now when I boot It goes directly into Win8 on the C: hd.
But when I open up "This PC:" window I only see the C: hd and my ODD drive. Is this the way it should look? If so how and where do I set up the dual boot option window?

Anonymous

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:39:53 am

Go to your bios [ setup ] and select the drive that has Zorin OS installed.
Press F10 > exit
Then boot up Zorin OS and log-in.
Then open the terminal > [ keyboard ] > [ ctrl + alt + t ]
Then enter : sudo update-grub
Then enter : sudo reboot

Now you should be able to dual-boot

Erndog

Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:32:18 pm

Ok, so far so good. I was able to log into Zorin by highlighting the new drive in the BIOS and then click restart to go back to Win8.
Is there an easier way to toggle between them. I was looking at EasyBCD but it seemed a bite confusing as to how to set it up.
Will EasyBCD work for me and are there any tutorial on how to use?

Thx for all your help

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:02:30 pm

A great post from bilfriis should point you in the right direction!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5434&p=29633#p29627 :D

Erndog

Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:10:02 pm

Ok, It looks like Easybcd will not work because the Win 8 was pre-installed via UEFI and Zorin installed via BIOS. Can I change Zorin to UEFI?
One post I read said that Zorin can only install via BIOS - Is that true? If so are there any other versions of Zorin I could use, I current have Zorin 9 Core.

Thanks again for all your help.

blfriis

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:01:05 pm

You can install rufus on windows 8 and make a uefi Zorin. You need a usb pen just remember to use 64b version.
http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:21:17 am

Erndog wrote:Ok, It looks like Easybcd will not work because the Win 8 was pre-installed via UEFI and Zorin installed via BIOS. Can I change Zorin to UEFI?
One post I read said that Zorin can only install via BIOS - Is that true? If so are there any other versions of Zorin I could use, I current have Zorin 9 Core.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi, your woes should now be over:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9493

Big thanks to Gizmuntu! :D :D :D