This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin 9 not installing any suggestions (working now thanks )

slynine

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:02:16 am

Zorin 9 hangs up durring install where it says creating user . Is my hardware too new ? msi am1l motherboard, kabini 5350, seagate 1tb hd, 8 gigs ddr3 umbuffered ram..i used it on my old machine for a short time before it died with no issues . I am new to Linux all together.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53:22 pm

What is the graphics card?

Other things to note:

User name: no capitals

Computer Name: no hyphens - even if it suggests this - just one long line of letters/word/numbers)

Do NOT attempt to encrypt /home folder at point of install.

Going back one step - you did check the md5 sum before burning? You did NOT use a download accelerator? You only used Firefox or Opera 12.16 to download the .iso?

slynine

Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:05:56 pm

thanks , the graphics are built into the chip r3 radion i believe . i got ubuntu 14.04 to install but i dont really like the layout of it . your suggestions pretty spot on did everything on your list minus the no encryptin thing . ill give that a try

slynine

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:28:27 pm

thanks got it installed now .. seems to be running ok . it may have been a combination of the home encyption option and the format if tthe hard drive not sure wich . what i did , formatted hard drive fat 16 then used the usb install option under bios, in the setup menu i encrypted the install but not the home folder like you said , its working now thanks .

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:14:33 pm

Unless you have a Solid State Drive (SSD) you should always format / and /home as ext4!!! :D

slynine

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:40:09 pm

thanks again i got the ext4 that was my next question. lol .. the only other issue's i had was with firefox web browser crashing and submitted the crash report . it still crashes quite often when i try and play a game on facebook. The other thing is the the sound i can hear it but sometimes it will sound a little distorted like bad reception on a radio station. im using hdmi and changed the settings under the sound settings to hdmi it still a bit static like at times

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03:25 am

Have you done a full update / post-install? Wolfman's guide was for 6 but still relevant for the most part for 9:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054