This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Newbie needs help on how to install a program

discipulus

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:26:07 pm

Hi all, apologies in advance but I'm a complete Linux novice and need some help on how to install some software. I'm running Zorin OS 9 Lite on a slow netbook. I want to install a game called Go (I have it on windows but thought it would be good to see how it looks in the netbook but also for my education in how to install programs in Zorin.)

As I understand from http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/glgo/ it runs on Linux and needs the GnuGo engine http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-computer-go-board-game.htm#PANDA-glGo

I'd be happy with any other Go program if easier or recommended.

I can download zip files but really need some guidance on what to do next! If anyone could spare the time to step out what's required or point me to a simple to understand guide that would be wonderful.

thanks for reading

Simonides.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:53:54 pm

Click on the Download link and select the package in the highlighted area of the following image:

47.jpg

and install with 'Software Center/re' by right-clicking downloaded package and select 'Open with ...' :D

discipulus

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:43:39 pm

Thanks - I think I may have installed it and now have a "GoPanda2" icon on the desktop but nothing happens when I single or double click it. How should I run it please?

thanks again

S

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:29:58 am

Right-click the icon and select the 'Permissions' tab and then make sure the check box is ticked against 'Run as program'

discipulus

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:31:04 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Right-click the icon and select the 'Permissions' tab and then make sure the check box is ticked against 'Run as program'

I rightclick GoPanda2, select Properties, to display the File Properties window, then the Permissions tab but see options only for:

Access Control | View Content (set to Anyone)
Access Control | Change Content (set to Only owner)
Access Control | Execute (set to Anyone)

and a selector for Hidden file.

No sign of a Run as Program option?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:38:11 pm

Perhaps you need to install the client? I am out of my depth with this one!:

http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/gopanda2

discipulus

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:50:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Perhaps you need to install the client? I am out of my depth with this one!:

Yes, I have the GoPanda 2.4 client for Linux 32bit installed together with the GnuGo engine, but they seem not to work. I mailed the developers for guidance and will report back here if I ever get it fixed. Maybe it just doesn't work on Zorin. Thanks, Swarfendor437 for all your help :D

D

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:14:58 pm

No problem - never heard of the application til you posted - hope it gets resolved for you! :D Will mark as [CLOSED].

discipulus

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:19:13 pm

Not quite fixed, so I edited out the [CLOSED] hoping that doesn't offend the forum etiquette. One of the GoPanda developers has kindly been helping me towards resolving this.

If I run Terminal and change to the installation folder, and then type
./GoPanda2
I get an error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

The GoPanda FAQ states

If you encounter a problem with libudev.so.0 (an issue with the
node-webkit tool GoPanda2 is using), you need to create a link:

1. Find where libudev.so.1 is located (perhaps /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
or /usr/lib/) and cd to that directory
2. Create the link:
> sudo ln -s libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0

When I enter "locate libudev.so" I get a response that includes the line
"/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1"

I navigate to the folder that contains GoPanda2
I enter "ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0"
Response is

ln: failed to access 'libudev.so.0' : Too many levels of symbolic links

I get the same response if I enter

ln -s $(locate libudev.so.1) libudev.so.0

What does "Too many levels of symbolic links" signify and how do I move forward from here?

thanks in advance,
D

Wolfman

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38:00 pm

Hi,

I don't use it so I suggest you hunt around on their website:

http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/pandanet/11

http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/pandanet/53

Maybe they have a help forum?. :D

Linx

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:08:07 pm

The "Too many levels of symbolic links" error indicates The file you are pointing to is a symlink.

This can be verified using
Code:
username@pcname:~$ file /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1: symbolic link to `libudev.so.1.3.5'
username@pcname:~$

So now to find that file.
Code:
username@pcname:~$ find / -name libudev.so.1.3.5 2> /dev/null
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.3.5
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.3.5

Meaning to fix the issue run this
Code:
ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.3.5 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0

Hope this helps.

discipulus

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:33:27 pm

Linx, thanks for moving me forward!

All as you suggest, except of course, no x86_64 response seen as I'm running 32 bit here.

I enter the 'fix' but get an ln: failed to create symbolic link '/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0'; Permission Denied error.