This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual Boot Install On New Hard Drive

orbhunterx

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:14:59 pm

Hello,

I have Windows 7 on my PC, and due to security issues, now have Zorin OS 9 Premium distribution burned to a disk for installation.

Since I'm new to Linux/Zorin, I want to make sure I do the install right the first time.

I've added a new Western Digital hard drive to my system, which is formatted and set as the first boot drive.

I want to do a full install of Zorin on the new hard drive, giving me the dual boot option at startup alongside Windows 7.

The default way Zorin wants to install as a dual boot is for me to partition the original hard drive that has Windows on it, which is not what I want to do.

When I clicked the Advanced Installation, I shows the WD hd and I see at the bottom of that screen that the boot record is set to the new hd, so that part is fine.

When I double click the WD hd the default dialog shows me do not partition.

So, at that point I'm not sure what changes if any I need make to make sure Zorin gets installed on the WD drive.

I do see a + and - at the bottom too, but I'm unsure what that means.

Basically, how do I make sure the WD hd is selected for the install?

Do I need to change any settings ie partitioning at that point if I just want to put it on WD hd?

Thank You!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:50:10 pm

HI, follow my tutorial on dual booting here - the ONLY difference is that yours is on a separate drive - disconnect your Windows Drive before installing to the new one which should have any preformatted file systems present removed by the installer partition editor (GParted) - always install using the 'something else' method for a sound installation:

https://vimeo.com/110085401