This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

WHAT ____ HAPPENED!?!

bushfilm

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:21:42 pm

I tried to install Zorin 9 Lite with not much luck. Kept locking up computer, etc. So I took out the hard drive, and using another computer, I completely erased it (formatted to NTFS, twice just to be sure). I re-installed the hard drive, attempted to boot to a CD with Windows 7 on it, so I could start over and re-install it, when, much to my surprise, I got a message about a filesystem error, something about recovery, then GRUB something or other, then nothing, just a blinking cursor forever. Can someone please tell me how to get my computer back to normal? I didn't realize playing around with Linux (Zorin, in this case) would totally ruin my computer!! Help!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:21:36 pm

Instead of installing, first select 'Repair' - once in the advanced options, choose the terminal option in Recovery and select the 'Dos prompt'

Enter:

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixBoot

then

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr

If still no joy, boot with Zorin DVD and run the partition editor and delete all partitions then create and format to NTFS.

Other solutions to look at:

Ultimate Boot CD: https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

System Rescue CD: http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

Why did you choose Lite over Core? :?:

bushfilm

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:12:21 am

I managed to re-install Windows 7 with Hiren's Bootdisk v14.0, but the whole process left me wondering if Linux (Zorin) was worth the effort. Seems extraordinarily complicated compared to windows, which, despite all its flaws, is simple for the non-geek to deal with. Appreciate all the help!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:48:02 pm

Glad your are sorted! I have provided a guide on dual-booting and for the heavily biased user toward Windows I created an installation video that maintains the bootloader intact. Unfortunately I cannot do a video for Windows 8 as I don't have the pennies for one to show how that can be done! :D

That said Matthew Moore gives a good video given here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

My video once more!:

http://vimeo.com/110085401 :D

bushfilm

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:03:35 pm

Thanks for your help! I apologize for being so impatient about my installation. After doing more research,I am getting more comfortable with Linux. Should have does this in the first place. I installed Zorin 9 Lite over Core because I just wanted something simple to surf the net with...could you tell me what advantages Core has over 9 Lite? Maybe I will re-install. I really do like Zorin a lot, it works great on my older Acer netbook after MS abandoned Win XP and my system began to act up. I hope, someday, to become as comfortable with Linux (Zorin) as I am with Windows. I use Avid Media Composer for video editing a lot, which is a big, complicated program, I am hoping that some day, it can run on Linux. I do have one quesion, how do you prevent the screen from changing from desktop one to desktop two so easily, seems like it changes even though I haven't pressed any buttons. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be back!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:08:08 pm

Core is for recent kit and Lite is for older kit (5+ years old?). Core is more customisable in its look but you don't get a mac look - unless you install Docky or Cairo-Dock - you only get a similar interface of Lite if you purchase the Ultimate version. What are the specs (including graphics) of your machine? :D