This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Grub 2 Issue

philipgr

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:52:31 pm

Good evening

Please accept my apologies if this is not the right place to ask this question. Two weeks ago I removed Zorin 6 and installed Zorin 9. After rebooting I found that it had not recreated the grub menu. I deleted my installation and redid the
installation with the same result. I then booted up on my live cd and downloaded Boot Repair which I ran and my problem was fixed. I now had my grub menu. However the fonts were extremely large, bigger than they were in Zorin 6. I
was on a salesforce admin course last week so I could not attend to this problem Last night I had a look at the grub file in /etc/default and found a screen resolution setting of 640x480. This line was commented out. I added a setting of
1600x1200 which was the largest at the bottom of the vbeinfo display. I tried a few smaller resolutions but the do not work.

When I selected Zorin or Windows 7 from the grub menu a large rectangular black box appeared after the menu disappeared. I then added a wallpaper to the grub file and when I rebooted and selected an option the wallpaper appeared
within the rectangular box. I have tried a number of wallpapers with the same result. The wallpaper refuses to appear in the grub menu. I have done a search on google and all the sites I have been to show the entry that I used, namely
GRUB_BACKGROUND="~/Pictures/grubbackround.png".

I also wanted to run sudo hwinfo --framebuffer but I have found that this command has been discontinued. Is there an alternative?

Does anyone know how I can fix my grub wallpaper issue? Any suggestions will be very welcome.

I have a gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard and a NVidia GT630 2GB graphics card.

Regards
Philip
:( :( :(

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:09:57 pm

Hi, end of lunch break but search for 'burg' in your browser with your favourite search engine and follow any detailed guides you find! ;)