This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) USB not even booting

joaojotta

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49:16 pm

Hi

I must have done something so stupid wrong that I can't even put my finger on it.

I've tried several USB drives, two different computers and more that one ISO image (multiple downloads) and I simply can't get Zorin OS 9 32bit to boot:

- Unetbootin (Mint and OS X);
- Terminal command sudo dd (Mint and OS X);
- Disk (Mint);
- mkusb (Mint).

I just can't seem to get it to work/boot.

I believe this is the oficial link for the ISO file.
http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ ... ore-32.iso

My hardware 1:
HP Compaq dc5700 (desktop)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2,66GHz
3,5GB RAM
nVIDIA GeForce 9400GT 512MB

My hardware 2:
MacBook Air 11" (mid 2012)
Intel Core i5 @ 1,7GHz
4GB RAM
Intel HD 4000 1GB

Can anyone please help me?

Wolfman

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:54:11 pm

Hi,

what exactly if anything are you getting on the screen?, do you get to the boot menu at least?, if you do, when you see the menu; press the "Tab" key and type the following:

Code:
nomodeset

Then once typed, press enter twice and see if it boots.

Did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

joaojotta

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:09:26 pm

I only get options if I use Unetbootin (the Unetbootin menu).
Once I choose "Try Zorin OS without Installing" I get some lines of text.
Bottom lines:

Code:
(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: No such device
Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.suqashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

The same happens if I type the recommended command.

I tried running Ubuntu the same way and works fine.
Booting from a USB device burned anyother way just makes the computer boot from my HD (even when choosing the USB).

Wolfman

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:17:59 pm

joaojotta

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:41:34 pm

Nothing is helping and the "persistent" thing is too much for me. I can't even understand what it means.

Guess I'll just skip this... ):

Stephanie

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:07:19 pm

Hi joaojotta and welcome :)

Not a solution to your problem but an answer, burn the ISO at low speed to a CD/DVD you can research and test your non-booting Flash Drive when your up and running on your desktop.

joaojotta

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:17:20 pm

You mean to tell me that the DVDS will boot when the USB Drive doesn't?
That's weird!

I'll give it a try with my last DVDS and feedback as soon as I'm done.

Anonymous

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24:57 pm

Use the [ USB ] installer from the link below. [ Universal USB Installer ]
Scroll down the list in the installer where you'll find [ Zorin OS ]
Make sure you completely format the usb drive before going any further. [ Fat32 ]
It is good practice to completely wipe [ format ] the hard drive before any any installation.
Unebootin has never been stable to use in my eyes for any installatio.
Though some people like to use it for it's simplicity.

Link : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
Guide on the same page.

joaojotta

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12:19 pm

I appreciate the link but I don't have a Windows computer at home.
Actually, I don't have access to Windows at all except for my in laws, so...

I did format the damn (sorry) USB drive so many times.

Thank you for your patience.

joaojotta

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:29:20 pm

FINALLY!!!
It booted from a DVD!

First time I see this kind of thing.
I know I'm not a Linux expert but I used the same method on Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, Mint Mate, Mint XFCE, Mint Debian, Fedora, Puppy, Debian, Damn Small Linux, ElementaryOS, Evolve OS... I lost count!

This is the only one that didn't work!!!
I can only hope this is a bug and it's fixed quickly.

Thanks guys!

joaojotta

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:01:08 am

Just to feedback:

The OS has such a buggy UI (could be my graphic card) it's not usable.
Tried the Lite version, can't boot again and I've burned my last DVD.

Wolfman

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:54:54 pm

Hi,

to boot from USB, you should have an option on your screen as soon as you start your PC which will say something like "Select boot device", on my HP rig it is the "Esc" key and on my Hewlett Packard rig, "F12".

You can also set "Boot Order" in BIOS, when you boot, press the respective key which allows you access to your BIOS settings, like "Del", "F1 or F2" and change the first boot device to USB:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/c ... ur-pc.html

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:11:51 pm

If you see the Accessibility man = Keyboard at boot time, press space bar and you are in Language settings - then look at the options available to you under F6 - see which one works for you. If you can press E or the Tab key to enter the Boot splash command, enter:

Code:
acpi=off nomodeset xforcevesa nolapic
and press return/Enter. :D

If you have a gnu/Linux install, then MutliSystem is THE BEST but you need a GNU/Linux install to use it - I posted the package in another thread.

joaojotta

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33:53 pm

That's the thing I don't think you guys understood yet:

I am able to boot EVERY OTHER DISTRO via USB. Zorin OS 9 Core is the only one that doesn't boot. It just doesn't.
I don't see a keyboard or a clock (I know, those icons on the middle bottom of the screen, same as every other Ubuntu bases distro). The computer simply doesn't find any boot files or something and boots from the HDD.

Just this morning I followed the same exact steps for Manjaro and it worked fine.
Zorin is only booting via DVD but I can't really test it because once I use the main menu the icons start so scramble or something unveiling different images in the back (it's a graphic bug, maybe because of my graphics card or even a DVD error - not blaming the OS).

The ISO's simple aren't bootable from a USB drive except when we burn them via Unetbootin but even than we get the following error:

Code:
(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: No such device
Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.suqashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

I'll try to make a video and share it with you guys.

Wolfman

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:53:21 pm

Hi,

I am working on the assumption that you have an Nvidia graphics card?.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Did you do a full system update after you installed? (You said you had a successful install), run DPKG per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

joaojotta

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:59:09 pm

Can't even do that. It's just too buggy.

I'll try to get my kids to sleep so I can easily put a different HD on the computer, install Windows, get the BIOS update tools and se if there are any updates available.

joaojotta

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42:56 pm

Can't believe it. It worked!

I used Universal USB Installer and it finally worked!

Not sure it's practical having to install Windows to create a USB Live drive but at least it worked.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:57:16 pm

You can create a Live USB if you have GNU/Linux installed (any flavour) and multisystem - my tutorial video here:

https://vimeo.com/104187694

I have about 6 distros (3 Zorin) on my 32Gb Memory Stick! :D

Wolfman

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:02:40 am

Hi,

have marked as solved!. :D