This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Won't boot from DVD

ZorinNoob

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:06:29 am

Having just upgraded to a "new" machine with a working DVD drive, I decided to try burning Zorin 9 Core so I could boot on start. I couldn't find a copy of ImgBurn that didn't try to load malware with it, so I used Roxio. I burned the disk (at 1X) and set up to boot from the DVD drive. But it doesn't. I can hear the DVD drive start up on boot, but after a few moments it skips past it into Windows. Am I supposed to be holding down any keys during bootup, or should it just boot?

I'm using a Dell Studio with dual cores running at 2.1 Ghz and 4 Gb of RAM. The default OS is Vista.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:20:27 am

Hi ZN,

did you set your PC to use the DVD as first boot device?:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129815/beginne ... ters-bios/

You may not have saved that setting when you closed BIOS?. :D

Try the DVD in a different PC if you have one nearby and see if it boots from that, then you will know that the disk is okay!. :D

ZorinNoob

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:30:41 am

Yes.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:10:59 am

Yes what?.

Please be more explicit when replying otherwise it is difficult to help people!.

You said that it is a Vista PC which I assume is fairly old, does the disk tray have DVD written on it?, are you sure it is a DVD drive or is it a CD drive only?. :D

jowilker

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:07:27 pm

Noob, your program has to be able to burn the ISO, not all are capable. On boot up is also good to tap the F12 or F2 key that you see in the first few seconds to make sure the cd/dvd boots first. Install it along side of windows and enjoy the ride.

John

ZorinNoob

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:43:18 pm

Yes, I set the PC to start from the DVD drive. There isn't a DVD tray; it has a slot on the side. The computer lists it as a "HL-DT-ST DVD +- RW GA10N ATA Device". Should that drive be capable? Also, all the drivers are up to date.

Jowilker, I checked when I restarted it--it's set to boot from the drive.

jowilker

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59:32 am

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I suspect that it should. Open Google search and put "burn iso to dvd" in and research that a little.

I just loaded Zorin 9 to my Netbook that had Zorin7 on it. It has no disc slot or device at all. I was trying to use a USB stick and could not get it to work. I finally pulled the hard drive, opened a full size PC unplugged it's harddrive and plugged the Netbook drive in. I ran & loaded Zoring to the drive just like it was in the netbook, unplugged it and reinstalled it and it fired right up.

About the 2nd or 3rd option is to select the wifi do that and I'll be you will be surprised. Unlike windoz a Linux loaded machine hard drive will swap machines and run.

best

John

ZorinNoob

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:27:39 am

By the way, this is what I get when I try to save ImgBurn:

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/virus-and- ... PRTYPE=AVF

If it seems the DVD playing is working correctly, how can determine if the iso file is correct?

OK, I've answered that question: I downloaded a utility called "Power ISO", which scanned the file. It is bootable. It should be booting.

ZorinNoob

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:07:21 am

I'm burning a new DVD. I'll post back later.

ZorinNoob

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:06:12 am

It's working!

Wolfman

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:25:07 pm

Hi ZN,

good, then we can mark this as solved!. :D