This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Recover Delted Partition

Acer DeVille

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49:55 pm

Ok, I'm back again :roll: I partitioned my HDD into three partitions, a 100G NTFS Windows 7, a 150G Fat32 Common partition, containing the Documents, Pictures, and a couple of other folders, basically this PC is used as a HTPC and a Backup media in this folder, and a 100G EXT3 Zorin partition. I started the Zorin installation, got to the partition screen and realized I forgot to make a Swap partition. Simple, just select the EXT3 partition, and reduce the size by the size of the swap, NO PROBLEM :lol: . So why did I select the Common folder, and try to cut a small partition out of it. Right as I clicked Enter, I realized what I had done, and clicked cancel. So I now have a 150G, well TestDisk called it a "Misconfigured Fat", Foremost called it a "(something) Swap".

I installed these as they were the most recommended. However I am not comfortable enough, or confident enough to tackle a command line of this nature, and required skill. I am looking for something with a GUI. I'm getting better at the CLI, and I have even made an ubuntu install on another computer specifically for learning the command line. This is a throwaway install, that I can just reinstall if I mess up. But I haven't progressed this far yet.

I'm sure I have these files backed up somewhere else, as I have learned the hard way to have everyting backed up to at least three places, by three different means. I have actually had three backups of the same information fail, and one of those was a simple (right-click)>copy to a different HDD. That's my luck. But I need to at least get my file names, so I can recopy from another source.

Have I mentioned that you guys here ROCK! I have always gotten good advice, without any attitude over my stupidity :o of the current situation. That is why Zorn is my main Linux install, even if I do like to play with some of the distro's with more eye candy, or slightly more difficult to work so I can learn more than I currently know.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:25:46 pm

Hi,

you can try booting the live CD annd copy your files to a safe medium, the only other option is to re-do your partitions:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01:32 pm

madvinegar posted a solution for someone else, different scenario but similar issue and advised using 'Test Disk' to recover the missing data - you will need some sort of other external backup if possible - perhaps now is the time to invest in a new external hard drive (if you can afford it of course). Always power on an external drive before inserting the usb connector! ;)

Also, a bit of advice - you should avoid formatting to 'ext3' as it is not as stable as 'ext4' - purely from what I have picked up in magazines and online. ;)

Acer DeVille

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:26:15 pm

Done, as I said that's not my main daily use pc, and since I run my Linux from an external so I haven't partitioned the HDD there is no way Dell can blame me for any problems. I know installing to my HDD won't void my warranty technically. But I know how they work, anyway I grabbed that external and booted to my Z9 install on it, and the external has 5 partitions, so I was good. I just didn't want to do this without a gui, but I pulled it off, thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:44:09 pm

Great going! Will mark as [SOLVED]! :D