This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Please help me Boot Zorin

nate_o23

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30:32 pm

OK first off full disclosure I am a computer idiot but I am trying to boot Zorin Lite onto my computer (Dell Latitude 2100) using a USB memory stick. I bought the Dell cheap because it has no Operating system on it (used to have XP) I downloaded Zorin and put it on the stick using pendrivelinux. The problem is when I turn on the computer all I get is
BOOT MGR IS MISSING
I tried to do some research on fixing this but everything seems to be geared towards Win 7, 8 users
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:35:36 pm

nate_o23

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:25:56 am

Unfortunately this computer does not have a CD drive

Wolfman

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:01:13 am

Hi,

did you format the USB stick first?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171&p=34209#p34209

Boot the Zorin USB stick again and start it normally as a live OS, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type the following command then press enter twice, you do not need to type any password in live mode!:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Then reboot and see if it solves the problem!.

Boot Mgr is missing is normally a sign that you placed the boot manager on the wrong partition, if you install Zorin to a hard drive, you must select that drive for the boot manager and it should be /dev/sda which is the boot sector of the internal drive (HDD), if you put the boot manager on the USB stick, it won't find the boot manager!, see this link for more infor about UEFI:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

nate_o23

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:26:56 pm

Got it working, Thanks guys!!!

Wolfman

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:10:32 am

Nice one, have marked as solved!. :D