This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Install Zorin 9 on Dell XPS13

Willem_

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:57:01 am

Hi guys,
My Dell XPS13 (2013 model) is running fine on Ubuntu.It should because it was pre-installed.Though I do get used somewhat to the Unity interface I really like the Zorin version.
So I tried installing that, but no luck. It hangs on the splash screen during boot from the usb, after I selected 'try Zorin' in the 'grub menu'.
Has anyone seen this or tried this (and was succesful) on this type of hardware? Any tips, pointers are much appreciated! :-)

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:00:44 pm

Hi, First things first, you did format to FAT32? What installer did you deploy? My biggest success has been with MultiSystem (I posted the package on here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9075&start=10#p44542

Also when you select the boot from live can you press Tab or E to edit the boot command? try adding:

Code:
acpi=off nomodeset xforcevesa

:D

Keep us posted!

Willem_

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:14:23 pm

Thanks that works! Unfortunately it has done something to my EFI boot of the original installed Ubuntu 14.04. Not sure what, but only running Zorin in Live mode should be pretty harmless, right?
But now booting Ubuntu 14.04 doesn't work anymore... no bootable devices found is the error message.
I tried (re-)setting the boot options in the BIOS but no luck yet.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:42:24 pm

Boot any Ubuntu live CD and once booted, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Restart your PC and see if that fixes the problem!. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:25:37 pm

Willem_

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:48:12 am

Thanks ! That worked. The update grub part helped.

Zorin 9 is now driving my Dell XPS13 beautifully at the speed of light. :-)

Wolfman

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:50:39 am

Nice one!, have marked as solved!. :D