This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Cant install Zorin 9 unresponsive keyboard and mouse

belshackrela

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:52:33 am

I've been trying to install Zorin 9 Core on my desktop, but am unable to progress at all through the install process as my keyboard and mouse cease functioning after I select the "Install Zorin 9" option.

Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX 6100 3.3GHz
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 650 Ti
Sound Card: Sound Blaster ZxR
RAM: 16GB (4X Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3)
Keyboard (USB): Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse (USB): Steelseries Rival. I've also tried using some logitech USB mouse, but I don't know any specifics about it. It didn't work either

I'm trying to install Zorin via a DVD that was created with the default image burner built into Windows 7. I'm positive that it's not a bad burn because I've used this very disc to install zorin twice in the past (both on a laptop and not on the current machine giving me trouble).
At first I thought the graphics card was the cause of the problem, and so I followed the advice I've seen in a thread or two around here and enabled the options "acpi=off" and "nomodeset" before I started the install procedure; but this didn't fix anything. In both cases I chose the "install zorin" option (as opposed to booting up the live CD with the "try zorin" option) and after everything finished loading, the installation wizard is stuck at the first screen where it asks me to choose a language (I say stuck because I can't use my keyboard or mouse to do anything, the actual mouse image doesn't even show up on the screen).
I tried unplugging the keyboard then plugging it back in at this screen, but this also fixed nothing.

Also, when searching through the forums, I saw a post that said that one shouldn't format a solid state drive with the ext4 filesystem. Since I plan to install zorin on a newly acquired SSD (which will have only zorin installed and no other OS), I would appreciate any insight that can be provided on why ext4 would be a bad idea since I'm not that knowledgeable about filesystems beyond knowing that windows can't seem to read ext4 or anything that isn't fat or ntfs

Wolfman

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27:36 am

Hi,

use a cable mouse and keyboard, Ubuntu doesn't like wireless kit at the beginning when booting!. :mrgreen:

belshackrela

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:27:46 pm

The mice and keyboard are both wired, I don't use wireless peripherals with my desktop

Wolfman

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:45:36 pm

Okay,

when you get to the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" then press enter twice and see if it boots, it might be your graphics card as you have an Nvidia card!. :D

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:34:22 pm

Would be interested to know if you get similar issues with different distributions of GNU/Linux. If the same thing happens then:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8864&start=20#p44633

belshackrela

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25:53 pm

Wolfman wrote:Okay,

when you get to the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" then press enter twice and see if it boots

Well, as I mentioned, I've already tried using both the nomodeset and acpi=off parameters and it didn't work. However, since you're saying to edit the actual command that's being executed instead of using the "F6 other options" menu I went ahead and did so; I also checked the options in the F6 menu anyway. These are the commands I've tried so far and the problem has persisted for each one

Code:
file=/cdrom/pressed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- acpi=off nomodeset
file=/cdrom/pressed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- acpi=off nomodeset xforcevesa
file=/cdrom/pressed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- nomodeset
file=/cdrom/pressed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash nomodeset -- nomodeset

Now I know that the nomodeset option is working because when I don't add it, the desktop shows up on all 3 of my displays and when I do add that option only one screen turns on. However, since the problem is still present, this leads me to believe that the graphics card is not the cause of the issue.
Is there any way I can boot off of the CD without starting up gnome and just use the terminal? If so then that will definitely rule out the graphics card being the issue if my keyboard still doesn't work.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Would be interested to know if you get similar issues with different distributions of GNU/Linux

Did you have any specific operating systems in mind?

belshackrela

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:55:29 am

I tried a couple other operating systems and found some interesting results.
Kali 32 bit - Works like a charm, both mouse and keyboard
Mint 14 Cinnamon - Works like a charm, both mouse and keyboard
Debian 7.6 - Same problem as Zorin for the graphical installer and regular installer (gee, i wonder why)
Ubuntu server 14 - Same problem as zorin

I didn't install anything, just booted from the live CDs and checked to see if the kb+m worked (they did not work when I booted into zorin without installing)

Wolfman

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:50:34 am

Hi,

you could try booting into reovery mode 2nd option in the Zorin menu and then the 2nd option again, activate "Network" (a network cable connection is required for this to work!) and then drop to "root" and do whatever you have in mind there!.

You could try typing (if you heven't already done so) the following command if you haven't already installed your Nvidia drivers (THIS IS ONLY FOR NVIDIA CARDS!):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

If you have a problem after that, reboot into root again and run the following to remove the drivers:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current

IN BOTH CASES, RESTART WITH CTRL + ALT + DEL, DO NOT CLICK ON RESUME!.

Let us know if this helps!. :D

belshackrela

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:03:30 pm

Wolfman wrote:you could try booting into reovery mode 2nd option in the Zorin menu and then the 2nd option again

I'm getting the impression that you and I are seeing different zorin menus, because I don't see any option that explicitly says recovery mode. These are the only options I'm seeing

Code:
try zorin os without installing
install zorin os
test memory
boot from first hard disk

I'm not able to provide any screenshots/photos now, but it's pretty much the same as the screenshots in the BootOptions page in the ubuntu documentation.
The only thing I see that mentions recovery or rescue is the F4 entry in the help menu (which itself is accessed through the F1 key at the top menu for me). I'll take a look at that when I get a chance.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:08:36 pm

Sorry, I misread your previous post, I thought you said you installed Zorin!.

You might find a tip or two here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Hope it helps. Gotta go and I will be back later!. :D

belshackrela

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:15:20 pm

Well dang, the disc doesn't have a recovery/no GUI option
3.jpg

That being said though, I've figured it out.
I just added the two options "noapic" and "nolapic" to the boot command and now my keyboard and mouse work. Sure not all the features are available, but that's a given since the software is only available on windows.
I messed around to find out which parameters were absolutely necessary and the final command comes out like this

Code:
file=/cdrom/pressed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- noapic nolapic acpi=off

Thanks for the help

Wolfman

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:48:21 am

Nice one, have marked as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:09:37 pm

And I had forgotten about those two commands! (noapic nolapic)!

You could always try the 'Windows' software under 'wine'? :D

belshackrela

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:43:37 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You could always try the 'Windows' software under 'wine'?

I suppose I could, but it's not that high on the priority list for me since I won't be using Zorin as my primary OS, I can live without the rainbow wave