This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS with crouton

seijinshu

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:57:52 pm

Hello everyone, I have a problem I need solved.
I need help on how to get Zorin OS 9 Core on my Toshiba Chromebook, by using Crouton. I can't use any ISO image when installing it with crouton, and any knowledge on normal laptops is nothing helpful with a Chromebook. I am still in middle school, but I do have some decent knowledge on Linux, and some on this mess of a laptop. I have never been able to use Chrubuntu, without it failing, or screwing up my partitions, and I am not risking my Chromebook with Coreboot or anything related to wiping Chrome OS, since it has a high chance of bricking my Chromebook. I have been able to get the Cinnamon DE on my Chromebook without any standard Crouton install, but I had to do it via a Ubuntu-CLI install, and I have read that you can't upgrade from Ubuntu to Zorin. I have made some documentation on how to get cinnamon on crouton if anyone needs it. I just want to try Zorin out before doing any installations on any of my real computers. With crouton, you don't get to run the OS installer. Can someone who has done this help me on this?

Wolfman

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:42:28 am

Hi,

I don't have a Chromebook so its a little bit difficult for me to help you, you can look around the web for tuts of which there are plenty:

http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to- ... h-crouton/

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/7 ... th-crouton

I hope it helps!. :D

seijinshu

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45:56 pm

Thanks for the info, but I already know how to get crouton, but I need to get the Zorin DE installed onto a CLI Ubuntu. That is the problem. If I can do that, then I would be set.

Wolfman

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27:03 pm

Hi,

I think you really need to contact the devs and get their advice, you might have to donate though? (Read the bit at the top!):

http://zorin-os.com/contacts.html

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:37:19 am

I don't know if it would help you but decalman wrote an excellent CLI method of installation - how that would work with crouton is a totally different ball game though!

See decalman's guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810&hilit=text+based+install#p38714

seijinshu

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:56:48 pm

I don't know how to do it, since I would have to use a already installed Ubuntu CLI. I wonder how to rework crouton to accept ISO images, or Live USBs and run their installer, since like above, I can't run official installers, nor can I use and other media. I have to get the DE. I HAVE seen a Zorin OS Repository, and I might be needing to look at that. Thanks for all the info, and if you guys find more about this, just add a reply to this thread.

EDIT:I don't think this will work with crouton. I would have to make Ubuntu become Zorin OS, and I think that might go beyond what I can get these chroots to do, without hitting my file size limit.