This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

NVIDIA Legacy Driver Issue - still Blackscreen

zpc

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:25:31 am

Hello - I have followed Wolfman's very thorough help on this issue at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2490
however my card (in a Sony VAIO VGC-V3M) is a Nvidia Geforce FX Go 5700 cannot be setup using the closest package 173 (this covers the following cards FX 5700VE, FX 5700 Ultra, FX 5700LE, FX 5700 but does not specifically list my 'Go' one.)
I have to run a whole fresh install everytime to allow me to go through the nomodeset loop, run the driver install as per instruction i.e. recovery mode etc etc. with the result always being a black screen with just a mouse pointer to show for my 30+ minutes work!
I am guessing that the package I am selecting does not cover my nvidia card...
I forgot to mention that I am installing Zorin OS 9 Educational via USB alongside Win XP - attempting to revive my Sony but with 'Win 7' feel for the benefit of my family who know nothing else ;-)
Any thoughts would be most appreciated including if anyone knows if this card is integrated onto the motherboard, as although the PC is a desktop form with integral monitor I think this graphics card is normally a laptop fit. If not I could change it perhaps..

zpc

zpc

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:21:34 am

Further to this I have looked from a different angle and wonder now if Nouveau drivers would help here? At least my card is specifically mentioned here http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/ as NV30 group (when I do lspci my card comes up with NV36 nvidia geoforce Fx GO5700).
Can't see exactly how to go about installing nouveau or setting up if it is actually already installed from the start.
Can I use Nouveau for my problem?

Thanks again

Wolfman

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:53:37 am

Hi,

remove the drivers if you installed any and the Nouveau drivers will auto install, see this link:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

I cannot see your drivers in the list so the only option for you is the Nouveau drivers!.

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

zpc

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:34:34 pm

Thank you - will try it again later. If the nouveau drivers auto install I am wondering why I saw the blackscreen in the first instance, the first time I ran an install I left it on auto, it was only afterwards I tried the '173 workarounds to try and cure the problem. Anyway will let you know how I go.

zpc

Wolfman

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:03:39 pm

zpc wrote:Thank you - will try it again later. If the nouveau drivers auto install I am wondering why I saw the blackscreen in the first instance, the first time I ran an install I left it on auto, it was only afterwards I tried the '173 workarounds to try and cure the problem. Anyway will let you know how I go.

zpc

Hi,

make sure you read through the boot options guide from Ubuntu!.

zpc

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:37:04 pm

Hello again. I suspect that I have been chasing the wrong problem. I thought my issue was with nvidia driver but actually this was ok all along i.e. I think nouveau is running fine.
My problem is that this pc is 12:4 monitor and is currently running 1024x768 instead of 1280x768 (I get 2 black bands either side of the screen). I had thought that this behaviour was the wrong driver so went chasing that...
So now I am looking at altering the resolution. Why not just use the Screen Display GUI I hear you say ;-)
I have and it just says Built In Monitor and any options greyed out and only option of 1024x768.
I am now exploring xrandr, adding modes etc which will keep me occupied for a while!
I will look on the forum for any info on this or if anyone knows some tricks please let me know
thank again

Wolfman

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03:01 am

Hi zpc,

have you done a full system update?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Try running this terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) as it may be a case of missing dependencies?:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart after running the command!.

Are your software location download sources set to "Main"?, see the above guide link for further info!. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:03:18 pm

In addition to what Wolfman has advised, try editing your boot option to include 'xforcevesa' - press the E key when GRUB appears and just add that phrase without the single quotes! ;) :D

Keep us posted! :D

zpc

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:07:57 am

Ok done both the last two steps... problem continues. Will look more into the startups and how the resolution is set so I can understand where this is configured, Will post any positive here :-)
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:10:36 pm

That is one thing I used to love about Wolvix - you could really drill down the graphics on old Notebooks like ancient Toshiba Satellites! :D

http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/wolvix/

[Please note that Wolvix is a 'dead' project - this is there for archive purposes - you could run it in a virtual box I guess! ;) ]

zpc

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08:23 am

Hi - still battling!

Tried the following -- attempting to add a new mode at the full resolution of 1280x768_60.00

sudo xrandr --newmode "1280p" 7.75 1280 1320 1440 1600 76 79 89 92
sudo xrandr --addmode default 1280p
xrandr --output default --mode 1280p
xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1024x768 (desired size 1280x76)
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
(ignoring this as others have said it is not important here)
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 76, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1280 x 768
default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 76.0*
1280p 52.6

Incidentallly the GUI for screen is attached

Wolfman

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:15:34 pm

Hi,

open Synaptic > Preferences > Repositories > Additional Drivers and see if any drivers other than Nouveau are showing, if there are any drivers available, select the one that says "Recommended"!. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:29:54 pm

This thread may also help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1060467

and as xorg.conf no longer exists (since Ubuntu 10.10) you will also need to refer to this article:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4662/whe ... re-x-there

You may also find decalman's excellent text install guide to be of help:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810&hilit=text+install#p38810