This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

replaceing windows 8 with Zorin

redbaronwcb

Sat May 09, 2015 3:42:48 pm

I have four laptops that came with windows 8 on them. I need to replace windows 8 with Zorin. I cannot find a way to do this and I have tried everything that I can think of. I hate to scrap this machines as three of them are brand new, but the students must have Zorin. What am I doing wrong here?

Swarfendor437

Sat May 09, 2015 5:00:04 pm

1. Boot into Windows and turn off 'Fast Boot' in the Advanced section of 'Power Settings'

2. Reboot and select the key that will gain you access to the BIOS - turn off 'Secure Boot' (EFI/UEFI) and make sure 'Legacy' mode is enabled.

3. Boot from your Zorin DVD - launch GParted (Menu | System Tools | Administration | GParted.

4. Delete all partitions on the drive.

5. Close GParted and click on the icon that states 'Install Zorin to Hard Disk/Drive'

6. When you get to install method, choose the last option (something else).

7. Choose the 'advanced' option rather thatn 'guided' install.

8. Once GParted is running again, Create a 30 Gb 'root' partition, formatted to 'ext4' and mark it as '/''

9. Create an 'Extended Partition to the righ of '/'

10. At 'END' of extended partition, create a 'swap area' and make it 4096 Mib (4 Gb) in size - don't look for file type as this is built in to 'swap area'.

11. At BEGINNING of extended Partition, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' - this where all the documents etc live - a bit like 'Libraries' in Windows8 - but it includes Downloads too - not like Windows which is frustrating!

12. Finally, at the bottom of the Partition Editor is where you need to place GRUB - be sure it is at the very start of the hard drive ('sda').

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted! :D

Keep us posted! :D