This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Multiboot systems

naquaada

Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:47:18 pm

I read here are various threads about Multiboot systems... I have some experience with multiboot systems, if somebody is interested, I can give some tips.

The one I created last is a pentaboot system with OSx86 Mavericks 10.9.5, Windows XP, Windows 7, OSx86 Leopard 10.5.8 and Zorin 9 Ultimate.
One before is even a octaboot-system: OSx86 Yosemite 10.10.4, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows XP 64bit, Zorin 9 Ultimate, Android-x86 4.4 RC2, OSx86 Snow Leopard 10.6.8. There's space for Windows 10 and I have two partitions in spare, one has Solaris installed, but I don't know how to get it bootable, the ZFS filesystem is rather difficult to handle, and Solaris is very complex.

Both systems are using standard MBR partitions, so GPT or UEFI is not neccessary. The trick to save partitions is to install multiple operating systems in one partition: ZorinOS and Android are both Linux variants, so they can be installed in the same EXT3 partition. Android has an own folder, so they won't interfear. You also can install a Windows XP and a Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10 in one partition, if it isn't english. The directories of Win XP have their names in the language of the country, it doesn't use a MUI. The only directory name that is the same is WINDOWS. But XP offers a method to change the Windows system folder. To install an non-english XP and a newer Windows in one partition you have to create a folder named WINDOWS in the partition. Start installing with XP - don't forget to load AHCI drivers if neccessary. XP detects that the folder is existing and offers to overwrite or create a new one. Use the last option, and name it WINXP32, Windows.xp or whatever. Install and configure how far you want. Then install the newer Windows, but don't format the partition. Windows detects the old installation and moves everything in one folder called Windows.old. After finishing the installation, move everything in the root partition and it should work. It may just be a bit dificult to get both systems bootable, first try with the Windows repair tools, after this I would recommend EasyBCD.

It isn't easy, especcially if you install OSx86. The first partition must be in HFS+. And you'll have a lot of bootloaders, EasyBCD for Windows and Zorin, NeoGRUB for Win XP and Android-x86, GRUB2 for Zorin and for OSx86 and all others Clover. And if you have installed Clover, it's not so easy to change the EasyBCD settings anymore... It is difficult, but possible. And if you have all your operating systems on one disk - I'm using an 1 TB harddisk - you can clone all systems to an identical drive at anytime. So there's no backing up of all your systems neccessary.

Another tip: Linux always uses a Swap partition. You can create one for Windows, too. it must be about 1,5x the amount of your real memory (of course, if you have 32 GB RAM, this isn't neccessary). So you can move the pagefile.sys to this partition. It is also possible to use this pagefile.sys for different Windows versions. This partition is also good to use for the Windows bootloader.