This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

USB Installation of Zorin OS

flowerian

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:28:14 am

Hello to everyone! I have a goal: installing Zorin OS 9.1 Core 64 to my new pc using a flash drive 32 gb. Possible Obstacles : I can't use dvd. I want to make a multiboot usb with Windows 8 , Hirens Boot , RedStar OS , Alt Linux and may be other OSs on the same exact 32 gb flash drive. I am only gonna use the Zorin Os on my pc.
Question: Can I achieve the installation of Zorin OS with the Xboot program? If not - any helpful suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:47:20 am

If you have a PC that currently has Windows 8.x on it then you will need to go into the BIOS, advanced and switch off Fast Boot option for your USB to get recognised when you choose to do a 'one time boot' from a device other than your HDD.

Try Unetbootin:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboo ... =directory

The wiki/home page of unetbootin is currently off line but project files can be downloaded.

Remember you must format your stick to FAT32 before using unetbootin.

Once you have Zorin installed and you want to use the stick, my personal favourite is MultiSystem - I had a stick with multi OSs on and Hiren's etc - no problem - and unlike unetbootin which can let you create an image only to tell you it won't run afterward MultiSystem will tell you instantly if MultiSystem supports that particular .iso - search for MultiSystem on this forum posted by me - I uploaded version 3 to this forum as no longer available from Softpedia - once installed, update it! :D

[Note I also posted a link to my vimeo account tutorial video on how to install.]

flowerian

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:16:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:If you have a PC that currently has Windows 8.x on it then you will need to go into the BIOS, advanced and switch off Fast Boot option for your USB to get recognised when you choose to do a 'one time boot' from a device other than your HDD.

Try Unetbootin:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboo ... =directory

The wiki/home page of unetbootin is currently off line but project files can be downloaded.

Remember you must format your stick to FAT32 before using unetbootin.

Once you have Zorin installed and you want to use the stick, my personal favourite is MultiSystem - I had a stick with multi OSs on and Hiren's etc - no problem - and unlike unetbootin which can let you create an image only to tell you it won't run afterward MultiSystem will tell you instantly if MultiSystem supports that particular .iso - search for MultiSystem on this forum posted by me - I uploaded version 3 to this forum as no longer available from Softpedia - once installed, update it! :D

[Note I also posted a link to my vimeo account tutorial video on how to install.]

I want to install only Zorin OS ( without any windows ) on my new pc. The thing is i have a flash drive 32 gb, and I don't want to waste it installing only one OS on it. I want to have the other OSs only in case I need them in future for other PCs. I saw a video how to make the USB multiple booting operation systems with Xboot with the option of installing only one at a time - and my question is there something more specific about Zorin OS that may create me trouble during the installation? I am a total newbie to this - and I want to get rid of Windows once and forever!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:55:05 pm

OK, first off did the new PC come with any OS? Can you give us more information please?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

flowerian

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18:39 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, first off did the new PC come with any OS? Can you give us more information please?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Nope. The new PC is totally empty and has only the BIOS menu on it. It is a South Korean manufacturer's PC - the name is Hansung - configuration consists of Intel Core I3 4170, 8 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 video, Intel H81-X1 main board. If there is something more needed as info - just ask :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:41:55 pm

Just looking at feedback section frits has had no issue running Zorin using Unetbootin. If the BIOS on the motherboard is recent, it may be set up to use Windows 8, i.e., UEFi - secure boot - you will need to enable Legacy mode - don't know where you will find this - just search for it - and disable secure boot in BIOS and Fast Boot in BIOS - if it is there that is - if Fast Boot in BIOS is enabled your flash drive will not show up as a boot device option. :D