This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

new install anomilies

Jesse

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:27:57 am

My Windows XP finally died with a corrupted file or virus I couldn't fix. I installed Zorin 9 on the whole hard drive. Does it look like I partitioned it correctly?

Screenshot.jpg

The reason I asked is:

1) The "About this computer" screen has the disk listed as 31.6 GB instead of 150. It's appears that it only seeing the root sda1.

2) Why did my swap file end up being an extended file sda2 and sda5? Shouldn't the extended file be the whole hard drive?

How can these issue be addressed?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:06:18 am

Hi, even if GNU/Linux is going to be the only OS on a drive, I still prefer the manual approach - indeed there should not be any extended partition at all. I am wondering if somehow the 'mbr' of your hard drive is corrupted. (mbr = Master Boot Record). If you have no essential data (but if you do - back it up now, remembering to press Ctrl+ H to show hidden files in your '/home' folder to copy to external device or backup to DVD/s.

1. Boot Zorin in Live mode.

2. Launch 'GParted' - just enter 'gparted' in the Windows 7 search bar in the menu.

3. Delete all your partitions that you have then create 3 new ones:

30 x 1024 to get 30 Gb format to 'ext4' and mark as '/'

At END of unallocated space create 'swap area' of 4096 (4 Gb)

Create '/home' in front of 'swap area'

Now when you come to install you will have to reformat again when you select 'use this partition' to 'format' and mark them with their appropriate labels but all your sizes will be correct.

Keep us posted! :D

Jesse

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:59:50 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:...indeed there should not be any extended partition at all.

Seriously? There's is no alternative to getting rid of the extended partition unless I reformat the whole drive?

Since it's the swap file that is also the extended file, couldn't I just turn that off and delete the extended partition without reformatting the hard drive?

Also, it looks like the OS is only seeing the /root partition (31GB). Shouldn't it recognize the drive is 150 GBs?

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:29:05 pm

Yes, I think it should show the same size. My advice (AND FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK!) would be to backup your '/home' data (remember to use Ctrl+ H to show hidden files/settings) then:

1. Launch GParted and unmount linux-swap, then delete linux-swap and then the extended partition.

2. Delete '/home'

3. Create an extended partition and put '/home' at the beginning with 4096 linux-swap at the end.

See if that helps?

Other than that all I can think is a possible corrupt mbr?

Wolfman

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:56:51 am

Hi,

here is a partitioning guide, I always put swap at the beginning of the drive myself!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Did you also follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56:29 am

Hi Wolfman, I only started putting 'swap area' at the end of the drive after I looked at what an auto install did with Zorin 6 and other distros released around the same time! :D

Wolfman

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:39:55 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfman, I only started putting 'swap area' at the end of the drive after I looked at what an auto install did with Zorin 6 and other distros released around the same time! :D

Hi Swarf,

technically it doesn't really matter where you put the swap but for ease of partitioning, it is (IMO) better to place it at the beginning of the drive rather than at the end so one can resize partitions without interefering with swap!. :D