This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems with Unetbootin

alburke47

Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:43:32 pm

Screenshot_2015-08-08_07-37-34.png
When I try to transfer the iso to a USB using unetbootin, I get this message. I've tried other imagewriters, and putting the iso on a DVD, but to no avail.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:50:39 pm

Firstly, did you use Firefox to download the .iso? Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso? :D

alburke47

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:49:21 pm

I used Chrome, and I downloaded a couple of times and the Md5 was correct. Is Firefox a better option?

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:17:38 pm

So long as you got a match that is what counts - did you fully format the usb to FAT32 before installing unetbootin to the memory stick?

alburke47

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:22:40 am

Yeah, it's weird. I'm a distro hopper, so it's not my first rodeo. I even downloaded Zorin 9 a while back. I'll give it another blast.

crazyfunkman

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:04:50 am

This may help as I had some issues with UNetBootin and other image writters...I tend to stay with Ubuntu based distros and found a couple utilities that work every time I write Zorin to a USB.

First, if using Ubuntu or related distro, I grab the Linux Mint mintstick utility. Has both a formatter and a writer. You can get it at:

packages.linuxmint.com and I usually just grab the deb package for Mint 17.

I then head over to the Mint community pages and install Multisystem. Here is that link: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1847

Now to the writing:

1. I use the Mint format tool but (REALLY IMPORTANT) when formatting the usb drive you have to make sure the name of the device has no spaces. I think it defaults the new name of the usb stick to "USB Stick". So, I select the usb drive from the pull down, change the name to "Zorin" or whatever you would like without the quotes of course. If you have spaces in the name of the usb drive, Multisystem will error out and drop a French languaged error. I've tried to use the Mint Writer but it doesn't work with Zorin for some reason.

2. Mount the usb drive (unplug and plug back in) and start Multisystem. Select the usb drive in the bottom of the window then hit ok. This will install grub onto the usb drive. Once that is done you can add the iso you wish to write and let it run. You have the oportunity to wirte other iso files to you usb drive too. I have a 16BG thumb drive with Zorin OS 9 Core, OS 9 Premium, OS 9 Lite and am going to add OS 10 Lite. I also have Ubuntu 14.04 on it as well.

After you're done with Multisystem, do your reboot and select the usb to boot from and you will be given a grub menu with the OS or OS's to select to boot into. The rest of the install process from the live environment works as it usually would.

Hope this is of some help and if there is need I will write a tutorial with screen shots for the appropriate forum section.

Tim

P.S. - As stated above...make sure you have a good download and check the md5...I use gtkhash for that task.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:58:11 am

Hi,

here is a guide on how to use Unetbootin, I hope it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171&p=34209#p34209

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:23:21 am

crazyfunkman wrote:This may help as I had some issues with UNetBootin and other image writters...I tend to stay with Ubuntu based distros and found a couple utilities that work every time I write Zorin to a USB.

First, if using Ubuntu or related distro, I grab the Linux Mint mintstick utility. Has both a formatter and a writer. You can get it at:

packages.linuxmint.com and I usually just grab the deb package for Mint 17.

I then head over to the Mint community pages and install Multisystem. Here is that link: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1847

Now to the writing:

1. I use the Mint format tool but (REALLY IMPORTANT) when formatting the usb drive you have to make sure the name of the device has no spaces. I think it defaults the new name of the usb stick to "USB Stick". So, I select the usb drive from the pull down, change the name to "Zorin" or whatever you would like without the quotes of course. If you have spaces in the name of the usb drive, Multisystem will error out and drop a French languaged error. I've tried to use the Mint Writer but it doesn't work with Zorin for some reason.

2. Mount the usb drive (unplug and plug back in) and start Multisystem. Select the usb drive in the bottom of the window then hit ok. This will install grub onto the usb drive. Once that is done you can add the iso you wish to write and let it run. You have the oportunity to wirte other iso files to you usb drive too. I have a 16BG thumb drive with Zorin OS 9 Core, OS 9 Premium, OS 9 Lite and am going to add OS 10 Lite. I also have Ubuntu 14.04 on it as well.

After you're done with Multisystem, do your reboot and select the usb to boot from and you will be given a grub menu with the OS or OS's to select to boot into. The rest of the install process from the live environment works as it usually would.

Hope this is of some help and if there is need I will write a tutorial with screen shots for the appropriate forum section.

Tim

P.S. - As stated above...make sure you have a good download and check the md5...I use gtkhash for that task.

Just be aware that MultiSystem is dependent on a Linux system being installed already to a computer and it puts GRUB in the mbr of the memory stick - I uploaded the package of MultiSystem to this Forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

and tutorial for installing to desktop here:

https://vimeo.com/104187694