This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install Free Zorin with Windows 10

nlow004

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:18:46 pm

Does anybody know how to install free Zorin with Windows 10? I would like a dual OS on my hard drive with both these operating systems. I like to make sure I don't get any technical problems with Zorin.

Please advise.

zzaza

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:59:33 pm

I would recommend that you install windows 10 first if its not installed, and prepare some free space on the hard disk, if windows has taken up the whole disk, you can use programs like partition magic to have atleast 40GB for Zorin.
During the installation of Zorin it will automatically find the installed operative system and finally give you the option of choosing to boot one of the two system
Hope that helps

Wolfman

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:31:17 pm

Hi,

this is for Winblows 8 but the story is the same:

http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-wind ... linux.htm/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

Do you have UEFI on your rig?.

Linked here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6500

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:35:28 pm

Hi, I installed MakuluLinux with Windows 10 insider preview and things were working fine until having EasyBCD on both Windows 10 insider preview and Windows 7 Pro went do-lally. What you will discover is that you are limited with what you can do as Windows 10 (unlike 7 or 8) creates THREE primary partitions - A system partition like 8 of 350 Mb, then Windows System partition (C:\) then a 'Rescue' partition after 'C:\'. You have to do the cursory chkdsk and defrag before making changes, right click 'computer' and select 'manage' then go to 'disk management'. Select 'C:\' right-click and select 'shrink volume' and let Windows 10 do its thing regarding this. Next run chkdsk and defrag after completion. Now between the end of the shrunk 'C:\' and the 'Rescue' partition, you have to create ONE extended partition and inside of that:

1. 512 Mb /boot partition formatted to Ext4
2. 30 Gb Primary partition marked as '/' and formatted to Ext4
3. a. now at END of what is left create your 'swap area' (4 Gb - it self formats to create file system)
b. between '/' and 'swap area' create your '/home' partition.

Be warned, Windows 10 is unpredictable and the fact they know what you are doing remotely 'could' end up with you saying goodbye to Zorin - that said I did not have a 'standard' set up with 3 drives in the box and my main drive in the 'hot bay' of my CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Tower! ;) :D

Wolfman

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:32:34 am

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:01:37 pm

Aside note - well just thought I would post that it would appear my problem was down to two copies of EasyBCD being present - once in Win 7 and once in Win 10. Last night I finished updating my Windows 7 re-install - took it out of the hot-bay, reconnected the poor win 10 install and Makulu Linux was available once more - weird or what? :lol:

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42:08 pm

Hi Wolfman, wish I had - lost some video projects but I have the finished pieces on my Box account - was beginning to wonder if had been hacked as the first thing to go was my email (Thunderbird) :shock: when it all started to go loopy!

Who knows, perhaps crackers (not hackers) can create Found directories and *.chk files? :o

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37:31 pm

OK, was browsing Computer Active in the local supermarket (to mean to buy!) noticed that Thunderbird is one app (in Windows) to let fly due to security issues - apparrently .dll's appear in users 'app data' allowing remote user to overwrite data - guess that is what happened to moi! - I am now using Claws Mail (formerly Sylpheed) which I will use in Zorin once I get it up and running again! :D