This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

install failed

tomiki

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:17:27 am

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620, 3ghz Intel processor, 2 gig of ram. I tried to install Zorin os 10, it wouldn't even boot the dvd only. The error message is ( ACPI PCC PROBE FAILED ). Have read on other forums that linux kernal versions 3.06 or more will do this. I have a 15 year old copy of Knoppix vs.1.0 dvd only that will boot, Do I need to get an older version of Zorin, and then update that? Does anybody have any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:53:09 am

Having looked at the specs (http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/prod ... 520_uk.pdf) you could have one or more issues.

1. Your processor may not support 'Processor Advanced Extensions'

2. We don't know if your Graphics is the in-built Intel GMA or a Radeon Card (see spec sheet)

Based on the error message you received you will need to add something to the Boot command by pressing 'E' at boot time (if your DVD gets that far) and enter:

Code:
ACPI=off

Keep us posted and some clarity as to your machine specs.

With regards to an 'older' version of Zorin you cannot go below Zorin 9 Core or Zorin 9 Lite.

Also Knoppix 1.0 is quite ancient - ok for recovery use (that said Freespire 1.01.13 was superior to Knoppix 4 for data recovery!) but has the misfortune of being limited to ReiserFS which is poor compared to 'ext4' (not to mention that it was written by a convicted killer!)
Any version of GNU/Linux you decide to run should have a 'glibc' version of 2.18 or above - older versions of GNU/Linux Operating Systems will have a security risk if earlier versions of glibc are present:

See post:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

tomiki

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:42:55 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

did you follow this advice when creating the DVD?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4771

Is this your PC?:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/prod ... 520_uk.pdf

I bought the disk from OSDisc.com.

Also I bought the machine in a 'Garage Sale' which means I am not the original owner. It was running XP Pro, before I formatted the drive.

tomiki

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34:56 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Having looked at the specs (http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/prod ... 520_uk.pdf) you could have one or more issues.

1. Your processor may not support 'Processor Advanced Extensions'

2. We don't know if your Graphics is the in-built Intel GMA or a Radeon Card (see spec sheet)

Based on the error message you received you will need to add something to the Boot command by pressing 'E' at boot time (if your DVD gets that far) and enter:

Code:
ACPI=off

Keep us posted and some clarity as to your machine specs.

With regards to an 'older' version of Zorin you cannot go below Zorin 9 Core or Zorin 9 Lite.

Also Knoppix 1.0 is quite ancient - ok for recovery use (that said Freespire 1.01.13 was superior to Knoppix 4 for data recovery!) but has the misfortune of being limited to ReiserFS which is poor compared to 'ext4' (not to mention that it was written by a convicted killer!)
Any version of GNU/Linux you decide to run should have a 'glibc' version of 2.18 or above - older versions of GNU/Linux Operating Systems will have a security risk if earlier versions of glibc are present:

See post:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

the machine will allow me to get to a pre-install Zorin menue to either run "as a DVD only", "install Zorin", or "check memory" etc. So it is when I click on either of the first two that I get the error code.
So you are saying, that during the boot process, I should press ' e' or shift-E? I suppose this will get me to a DOS command line, or a Zorin Linux command line. I will give it a try and see what happens.