This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Java

tomiki

Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54:04 am

So I installed Zorin 10 on my Dell Inspiron 1526 and it went well, except for the wifi. I have everything I had with XP, and yes there is a bit of a learning curve. I have used the Terminal to get updates and upgrades, and thing are going along quite nicely. But now to my question; one of the websites I use to play chess on has an application that requires I have up to date Java. And I was wondering when I installed the OS, was Java included, or was it some developers java emulator? I went looking for it in Zorin's graphic mode and didn't find it, and I don't yet have enough experience using the terminal.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:45:43 am

tomiki

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:18:01 pm

So I open Synaptic and type in "open jre" just to see what is there. I have Java 6, 7,,,,,,and 8. But Java 7 is the default. So I should remove all 6 & 7? And simultaneously install 8? Do a restart, and then an update?

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22:15 pm

Hi, I am no java expert but please read this article (Zorin 9 is built on Ubuntu 14.04):

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-14-04/

Please be sure to read through the comments below the article, including the authors responses! :D