This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Installing Zorin OS 10 w/o internet access

Wulffpack

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:47:41 pm

I'm planning to install Zorin OS 10 Core onto my parents computer this weekend. Our only access to internet is via satellite, because we live in a very rural area. I will be unable to connect to the internet during installation. It is my understanding that there may be some essential packages and updates that should be installed during the install process. Due to our lack of internet during the install process, I was wondering if someone can provide me download links to any essential packages I will need after installing Zorin? After installing, I will need to install the network driver. We use the Netgear WNA-3100. Could someone also provide a download link for this driver, and a process on how to get it to work?

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:54:11 pm

Is this the 64-bit verson of 10 you intend using or 32-bit?

Wulffpack

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:09:12 pm

Yes, the 64-bit version of 10.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:09:27 am

Hi, you may need 'dkms-ndiswrapper' and 'source-ndiswrapper' for 'wireless' to work.

To install the drivers see my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6354&hilit=+wnda3100

You need to 'extract' the tar.gz files using 'Archive manager' upon 'right-click' then use Windows Wireless drivers to install the .inf file. ;) :D

Wulffpack

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:55:02 pm

I went with the instructions given on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2221251 and the ndiswrapper INSTALL text file.
I downloaded the broadcom driver, unpacked it, and installed bcmn43xx64.inf.
I typed 'ndiswrapper -l' in the command prompt and it outputted the following:

bcmn43xx64 : driver installed
device (0846:9020) present

then I went ahead and typed 'modprobe ndiswrapper', the output was

modprobe: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

I opened the Synaptic Package Manager, typed 'ndis' in the search bar, and the following were installed:
ndiswrapper-dkms 1.59-2
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 1.59-2
ndiswrapper-common 1.59-2
ndisgtk 0.8.5-1ubuntu1
it appears ndiswrapper-source is missing. Then I followed your link, typed 'sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-source'; however, i think because I don't have internet, it was unable to install. So right now it looks like I have the driver installed, but am unable to connect to the internet.
If it helps any, I transferred the packages from my usb flash to the downloads folder and unpacked it to the downloads folder. Also after installing the broadcom driver, it appeared with some kind of error, but I don't remember what it showed.
Can I have a link to download the ndiswrapper-source, and specific instructions on how to install? would this fix my problems? Do I need to uninstall ndiswrapper and broadcom, then reinstall?

Wulffpack

Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:20:32 pm

Ok, I found and downloaded ndiswrapper-source_1.57-1ubuntu1_all.deb. I tried the following to no avail:
sudo dpkg -i /home/wulffpack/Downloads/ndiswrapper-source_1.57-1ubuntu1_all.deb
I can't use the method you provided because I still have no means of connecting to the internet.
I read from http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... -or-by-apt that I could try placing the deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives/ then try apt, however, the deb file cannot be moved there.
I read that I could try installing gdebi, then install the deb file through there, but then it said it will download the dependencies, but I don't have internet, so it can't download those dependencies.

Is there someway I can install the deb file and its dependencies without the internet?

I'm doing all my downloads on a separate Windows 10 computer, placing them on a flash drive, then plugging the flash drive into the desktop running zorin, and transferring the download to the downloads folder.

Wulffpack

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:14:17 pm

I found out I was trying to install the wrong package, and I found the right package at http://packages.ubuntu.com/vivid/kernel ... per-source . It installed, however its missing a few dependencies. I am going to try and download those dependencies now.

Wulffpack

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:40:07 pm

I was able to get ndiswrapper-source installed after downloading and installing the dependencies, dependencies, dependencies, and then reinstalling the dependencies above that until I got to install ndiswrapper-source. Now I am attempting to do the instructions you provided.

Wulffpack

Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:01:02 pm

OH GREAT!!!, "apt-get install build-essential", now I need to download that and its dependencies :o :( :x

Wulffpack

Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:49:25 pm

I got build-essential installed, I went through the process specified earlier, got to 'modprobe ndiswrapper', and it outputted "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ndiswrapper': Operation not permitted"
How can I fix this error?

I did notice after inputing "sudo m-a a-i ndiswrapper", the output after showing "Creating symlink...", was "Couldn't create the /usr/src/linux symlink!".
Does this have anything to do with the modprobe error?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:18:43 am

Rather than use the command line, does using 'Windows Wireless Drivers' and selecting the '.inf' file work or are you still short of dependencies?

I think it is time for our resident expert madvinegar to advise on this one! Please be patient ;) :)

Wulffpack

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:13:53 am

I don't know how I did it, but I finally am receiving Internet. I don't know if this has anything to do with it working, but I went into 'Windows Wireless Drivers' uninstalled the driver, then I reinstalled it. I typed in 'iwconfig' and it finally found wlan0. Then I clicked the icon to connect to a network, and now I am connected and typing this post. Yay!!! :D :D :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:14:14 pm

Great stuff! Will mark as [RESOLVED] as not clear what sorted it! Good job!! :D