This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

screen/monitor resolution

hakuraman

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:21:58 am

Hi all

I just installed Zorin 10 as a dual boot on an old vista machine

Letting the laptop boot up automatically from the dual boot options into Zorin 10 i get a single resolution of 640 x 480 refresh rate 71.0 (which is too big and opening any apps half the stuff is off the display)

If i boot up and choose "Zorin 10 Advanced options" and then the "recovered" option and accept any defaults i get 3 resolution options and the one in force is the "correct one" of 1024 x 768 refresh rate 61.0

Questions

1 is there something i can do to make the automatic boot display see the 1024 x 768 option and use it?

2. Would a reinstall fix this issue?

3. If i cant make the automatic boot option see the correct resolution how can i make the system boot into the "Advanced options, recovered" mode without having to poke it?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:22:52 am

Hi, please see if this helps - but be sure you are careful when entering commands in a terminal that you don't make any typos and backup any existing config files before changing anything!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/445957/w ... 050#446050

hakuraman

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:09:17 pm

Thanks a lot for that. I tried starting the install over again but got the same problem. It just seems strange that the "recovered" configuration sorts it out. My solution was to put Zorin on another laptop and its ok on that one so I'll leave it at that

Thanks Hakuraman

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:43:10 pm

Hi, try again in live mode but press 'E' to edit the boot parameters and enter "nomodeset xforcevesa" to see if it helps? ;)