This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Installation, can't log in

mdiemer

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:56:10 pm

I just installed a new Zorin 9 because I (again) messed up the other one too bad. I had to repair the boot with Boot Repair Disc, possibly because Windows was also on the drive. And I had done some partitioning work on it also. Now it will only let me log in as guest. I did set up everything correctly during install, so I don't know how this happened. Can it be fixed?

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:47:10 pm

Hi, check out this thread with the solution a bit down the page (xauthority):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/462272/c ... untu-14-04

mdiemer

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:37:54 pm

Thanks Swarf. I tried the control+alt+ F1, it did let me try to log in, but would not accept my it.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:08:15 pm

OK, just a few questions:

1. You did not try to create an 'encrypted' /home folder at point of install did you?

2. You did not use any funny naming procedure for your computer name? (I always rename mine to be one string of letters and numbers if I need to talk to Windows machines on the network!) ;) :D

mdiemer

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:58:34 pm

No, as I recall I did everything the same way I always do. If I can't log-in, I still have my first Zorin 9 OS on another drive, which I don't keep in my computer. I could try to image that and install it on another partition.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:23:42 pm

I'd give that a try - keep us posted - easiest to use would be clonezilla:

http://clonezilla.org/

Don't forget to copy the mbr too! :D

mdiemer

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:57:35 pm

I'm a little squeamish about messing with clonezilla. I downloaded it last night, and did a dry run with it. I'm afraid I will do something wrong and wipe out my windows 7. Also, I booted the old Zorin 9 from the ancient drive it's on, and I remembered it has some problems. Minor, but I know I'll be tempted to "fix" them, and I usually end up doing more harm than good when I do that. I'm toying with installing Zorin-Light over the regular Zorin, the one I can't boot into. Reason being, my machine is older, and it may run better on Z-light. I have had shut-downs with Ubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, and Zorin core 9. So far, only Mint Xfce seems stable in that respect. I know Z-light is only 32 bit, and my system is 64 bit-capable. but it does seem to run a lot better on lighter systems. I want Zorin on one drive, Mint on the other. That way I continue to learn by using two different systems. Also, there is redundancy if one one of the drives goes bonkers. What do you think of Zorin Light?

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00:00 am

Zorin Lite is a nice lightweight version (and different in all manner of things) to Core - it is based on Lubuntu - both 9 Lite and Lubuntu 14.04 are nice distros. You may want to play around with various light-weight distros that are out there as well to see how things compare - but am conscious that some folks have metered internet so I am lucky in that regard.

Take a look at LXLE (http://www.lxle.net/)
SolydX (http://solydxk.com/)

LXLE is based on Lubuntu and SolydX on Debian.

mdiemer

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:24:00 pm

I tried Zorin Lite (I don't have any download restrictions, fortunately, and I'm beginning to accumulate quite a library of OS's, repair disks etc. Will need to buy more DVD's soon). It is different enough from Zorin core that I didn't really care for it. So, I am going to give cloning my original Zorin a try, and putting it on Drive 0. I can recover from any disaster as I also have Windows on the original drive. I can always reinstall, too, if I have to. But I think I can probably pull it off. No worries!

mdiemer

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:31:39 pm

Actually, I decided instead to just reinstall Zorin Core. I saw on another thread here about the Partition Wizard tool. Downloaded it and got rid of everything but Windows, then installed Zorin alongside. I had to delete Zorin Lite, plus the Zorin Core which I could not log into for some reason; and the other small partitions. It worked quite well. I had to use my Macrium Rescue disk to boot into Windows, but that also worked just fine. So now, I have W7 plus Zorin on one drive, and Mint Xfce on the other. These are my two favorite Linuxes. Can't live without them, have to have them both! (Fortunately, polygamy with respect to operating systems, is allowed).

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:09:26 am

Thanks for the update - keep us posted! :D

mdiemer

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:53:04 am

Everything working fine on new install. To be sure I had no issues with log-in, I disabled login until I was up and running. thread can be closed. Wonderful to have a fresh copy of Zorin again. This time, I will not fool around with aero view. It looks great the way it is!

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:48:42 pm

mdiemer wrote:Everything working fine on new install. To be sure I had no issues with log-in, I disabled login until I was up and running. thread can be closed. Wonderful to have a fresh copy of Zorin again. This time, I will not fool around with aero view. It looks great the way it is!

Seen my how-to? ;) :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795&start=10#p48998

I don't have everything the same now but am quite happy with the Cinnamon DE which I now log in to - just a reminder while I think - I installed the Cinammon Control centre over Zorin system settings - you have been notified! :D

mdiemer

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:38:05 pm

Nope, not going there, Swarf. I'm keeping this baby as is. One question I do have: if I choose the black or blue theme, when I access the help menu, I can't read the text, which is washed-out. Any way around this?

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:41:24 pm

Hi, I think you need to stick with 'Zorin Light' - alternatively have a play with:

1. gnome-color-chooser - from Terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-color-chooser

2. GTk Ch+ - Change the Gtk themes - easiest way to install this is via Synaptic.

Do have a play with these - you won't break anything! ;) :D