This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install on PC with no op

brainshower

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:27:02 am

I had XP on my PC which was inoperable and backups to restore failed as there was no way to test them beforehand. Have a Macbook Pro which was able to create an imagefile of Zorin 9 install. My XP will search the DVD but nothing starts. I looked at the files on my Mac and don't see any familiar files to execute on the PC.
Will this install on a drive with no operating system. I can get into BIOS and Boot is set up properly.
Which files are supposed to start the install. I don't see how it would work since they are in folders and a PC only starts on files visible on the drive.
Help is appreciated
R Boehler

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:42:44 pm

There could be a number of reasons why you cannot boot - my first suspicion is the fact that Zorin 9 uses P.A.E. (Physical Address Extension) for the benefit of the latest processors. I am not sure if Zorin Lite is also P.A.E. but I would try that instead of core - especially as you mentioned the machine had XP on it! ;) :D

Update - is it an Intel Processor? If it is PAE will not run on older Intel Processors but if AMD it should not cause an issue - would be something else:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

brainshower

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:25:49 pm

I am using an HPDV1710ca which is a version of DV1000 on a HP laptop. BIOS ver F.51 failed install of XP 1280MB RAM. Originally had C: and D: drives System Board 30A0 wireless chip set Trying to install Zorin Lite 9.0

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:02:50 pm

I guess that last bit of information is a typo? 1280 Mb Ram - 128 Mb RAM? That just is not enough I'm afraid - take a look at:

Antix, http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Slitaz. http://www.slitaz.org/en/

brainshower

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:42:13 pm

[attachment=0]error.JPG[/attachment
I'm not familiar with attaching files but if this works it's the error message I get when I try to load Zorin from USB
Everything locks at that point and I have to shut down the computer

RAM 1280mb or 1.28gb s/b lots

brainshower

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:22:04 am

Finally got it running from USB. If all goes well I'll move on to the full install

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:31:11 am

OK, thanks for clearing up the amount of RAM issue - strange configuration of Memory! If you intend to install, just beware that HP tends to create 4 existing partitions - Restore, System, Drivers, and non-Windows boot so you will have to lose one of those if you intend installing to Hard Drive. ;) :D

brainshower

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:23:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I re partitioned the hard drive to three, so hopefully all goes well