This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Resizing columns in Nautilus

Phred68

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21:47 pm

Hi all,

Yes, I'm a [relative] newbie to Zorin, and Linux in general, so please forgive me if my question seems elementary. P.S I did perform a search first but couldn't find anything to match this specific problem.

I am on a 2007 model Dell Optiplex 330 (yes, it's old by PC standards), and installed Zorin OS 9 so I can keep my PC longer. Got rid of Windoze XP completely, but I still run some programs under Wine (like Foobar etc).

I am having trouble resizing columns when using the Files application (ie under Places, just like the old Windows Explorer). I can place columns where I want using the Preferences menu, and have even downloaded Nautilius-Columns to help with more options (works great!). However, some of the columns cannot be resized, in particular the Name column. I can make it smaller (pointless), but not larger. No matter what I do, or switching back and forth between views etc, I can't resize columns.

Is there any easy fix for this, and/or are the Zorin team working on a fix?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that may be provided.

Phred68

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:44:00 am

Anyone?

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:51:00 am

Hi Phred68, I did look at this and must have been called for dinner then forgot to come back to it! :oops:

Right, Nautilus is designed to work that way (no overlaps) - if you want to 'scrunch' columns like in Windows, you need to install Thunar. ;)

Phred68

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:52:08 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Phred68, I did look at this and must have been called for dinner then forgot to come back to it! :oops:

Right, Nautilus is designed to work that way (no overlaps) - if you want to 'scrunch' columns like in Windows, you need to install Thunar. ;)

Thanks very much Swarfendor437, much appreciated. I'll try out Thunar :)

Phred68

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:57:06 pm

Fyi, Thunar is working VERY well for me - thanks again! :)

Am wondering if there's a way to add custom columns in Thunar (eg sample rate, bitrate etc) especially for music (eg FLAC). Do you happen to know, Swarfendor437?

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53:02 am

Hi, that is something I don't know but if you want an extensive, fully customisable player, please DO take a look at Clementine1 - still the best all round music player and is cross-platform - and free! :D

Phred68

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:29:06 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, that is something I don't know but if you want an extensive, fully customisable player, please DO take a look at Clementine1 - still the best all round music player and is cross-platform - and free! :D

Thanks, I have used Clementine before, it is great, I agree! I do like the way Clementine can auto-update folders etc. Good stuff. Although I still prefer Foobar (even under Wine), thanks anyway, appreciate the tip.

BTW, it appears there are ways to add the columns I wanted in Nautilus, just not in Thunar. Hopefully Thunar can catch up as it really does work well. Thanks for pointing me towards it, much appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:46:15 am

Hi, I tried using Foobar in wine but had difficulties - I wanted to use the function that converts music to 432 Hz - keeping it in tune with Nature! :D

The problem with Thunar is that it is no longer the 'de facto' explorer for quite a few distributions - sad as this is what leads to project stagnation! :(

Phred68

Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:01:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I tried using Foobar in wine but had difficulties - I wanted to use the function that converts music to 432 Hz - keeping it in tune with Nature! :D

The problem with Thunar is that it is no longer the 'de facto' explorer for quite a few distributions - sad as this is what leads to project stagnation! :(

Point A: Thanks Swarfendor437 for mentioning the 432 vs 440 debate. Thanks to your post I just found out about it for the first time and went digging - very interesting! Surprisingly, I found myself preferring 440 - I was shocked. Am sorry to hear Foobar can't help with this. It's such an awesome program otherwise, but I guess we can't complain ;)

Point B: Yes, I agree. I guess the Nautilus folks need to get with the Thunar folks, and well, you get the idea ;)

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:23:37 pm

Well if you've got 3 hours to kill, Ancient Knowledge Pt 1 through 28 - can't remember which episode, but if you like Church Organs - all those pipes made years ago were all tuned to 432 Hz! :D