This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgraded to Zorin - Log in Problems

SamSilva

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:15:54 pm

Hi !
I just upgraded from PCLinux LXDE to Zorin 9 and i want to keep all my user files, so, my /home directory its the same.
Unfortunately, i cannot login with my regular username, i had to create via command line, a completely new user to be able to login...
Can you help me out on this problem ?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:53:04 pm

Could you upload a screenshot of your partitions?

Once in zorin desktop, search for 'GPaarted' to launch Gnome Partition Editor from Win 7 menu - when it shows up in menu, click on application shortcut then take a screenshot - instructions on screenshot here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

[Apologies for earlier posting - under the weather!]

SamSilva

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:03:35 pm

My partition is OK. All my info is there untouched ! I already checked that.
I have no problems whatsoever with the new user created by the command line, everything its fine.
The problem is that i have migrated from a completely different Linux OS, the desktop definitions or user permitions are messing with the users created in the other Linux version. I had a similar problem a few years ago when i also changed to other Linux version using the same /home partition, i solved the problem by changing the user permissions, in Zorin, i dont get it ! I simple cannot understand if its something to do with permissions or users ID's that don't match ... i don't know.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:06:21 pm

It's usually a permission's issue, and even if you try 'gksudo naautilus' from a terminal, there may still be some files you cannot access (I only backed up my files from another PC with Zorin 4 on it but could not access Desktop files (forgot my user password - lol!)

You could try this:

http://www.ehowstuff.com/how-to-enable- ... ntu-14-04/

But be careful - logging on as root can be dangerous - you have been WARNED! ;)

SamSilva

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:06:52 pm

It was an ID problem ! My wife's account its now OK, but unfortunately i have no idea how Zorin handled that ! I have changed from ID 1002 (newID) to 502(the old ID that was created in other Linux version) but at the login screen the account disappeared. I moved again from 502 to 1002 and after login, he restored all files and folders and everything was OK. My wifes account was a non admin account with limited access.
My account, that is an admin account, i did the same thing but does not work.... Graphically, i cannot find the "Advenced" button in the amdinistator -> user accounts like shown in some Zorin help pages... i just cant find it to be able to change user ID and user id folders since i'm not be able to do it via command line!

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04:23 pm

Hi, Zorin is based on Ubuntu - user id's tend to be redhat based like PCLinuxOS - to change a user status you need to go to:

Menu | System Tools | System Settings | User Accounts - you have to click on the padlock to unlock (you need to provide your login password) and then change user type. That said, I notice in Zorin 9 it is protected if you are the only user on the machine - good safety mechanism in case you accidentally chenaged yourself to Standard user! :D