This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Internal mic does not work - Zorin 9 B50 notebo

eek450

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:24:21 am

I have been using Zorin and Ubuntu for many years but I am not super technical. I just purchased a Lenova B50 Touch and installed Zorin 9. Everything seemed to work fine, even the touch feature to a good degree. However, I have not been able to record from the internal microphone within Zorin 9 or Ubuntu 14. It does seems as though it has a miniscual amount of signal when I crank up the mic level and mic boost level. (Oddly though, I can sometimes get audacity to record normally from the internal mic. but that's it.) I am trying to record with Sound Recorder, Kazam and Cheese WebCam without success. (Video recording does work)

Note: Also, I can easily record in windows 8 so it probably isn't a hardware problem.

I have scoured the forums to see if anyone has the same problem with this particular notebook PC but I haven't seen any posts. I have tried various tips and tricks that aren't specific to my PC and re-installed several times, but, to no avail.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Maybe, I'm missing something simple???

Thanks in advance :x

Anonymous

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:33:53 am

Look down on the bottom right side of the panel....and right click on the [ volume symbol ].
When that window opens....look for the [ input devices ].
Your internal [mic] to show up there.
You probably just need to [ turn on ] [ enable ] the mic from there for it to work.

eek450

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:40:53 am

Thanks for the reply but I had done that already. I've also loaded alsa and pulse audio and that did not work either.

madvinegar

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:05:42 am

From pulse audo control center go to the tab that says "input".
You will see two bars - one for the right channel and one for the left channel.
Click the "lock" icon so as you can move the two bars separately.
Put the left channel bar to zero and the right panel bar to maximum.

Save, exit and check again if your mic is working.

eek450

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35:58 pm

SOLVED!

Thanks madvinegar! I saw and tried that solution before and for some reason it did not work. But right before I read your post, I thought I would try it again and it worked. Yay!

A couple points for others with same issue:
- the "Sound Recorder" doesn't seem to function so don't use it as a "litmus Test"
- If you use the "Sound Settings" on the Bottom Right section of your screen, you may negate the above solution.

Thanks again!!

madvinegar

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49:42 pm

Glad I helped my friend!