This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Where to download Skype so the sound works?

andy3142

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:19:45 am

I've just installed Skype in the latest version of Zorin Lite (I forget the number but it's the latest!) and there is no sound or mic. Skype options lists no other audio devices than "virtual device" and test call completely dead. Video is OK and sound is OK eg with Spotify. I downloaded Skype from the SKype website (for ubuntu 12.4 multiarch) but I've got a feeling I should have got it from somewhere else - but where, please?

Many thanks

Andy
Bristol UK

Wolfman

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:25:52 am

Hi,

remove Skype via Synaptic or with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove skype

While still in the terminal, use the following command to install the Ubuntu version which should work:

Code:
sudo apt-get install skype

Then run this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

andy3142

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:30:24 pm

Hi Wolfman,

The "sudo apt-get install skype" didn't work, it gave:

==========================
Package skype is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'skype' has no installation candidate
=========================

I read the link you gave re audio, but I'd like to start with installing from the right place because I'm sure I saw a post somewhere else that said that the right install did the trick. If that doesn't work I'll look at the audio manager. So any thoughts how to make the Ubuntu install work? I am too very very new to Linux to work that out.

Kind regards

Andy

Wolfman

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15:50 am

Hi,

see this update guide link and make sure your software sources settings have "Canonical" marked too, then install Skype!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Software Sources Settings:

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:17:01 pm

As Zorin Lite is based on Lubuntu, this article may also be of help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/3rdParty :D

andy3142

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:58:04 pm

Thank you both for you help - Skype works! I followed Wolfman's link, but Swarfendor437, I think the link you gave was the one I had originally seen but couldn't find and it's good to have it again.

Kind regards

Andy

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:34:13 pm

Great News! Glad you are sorted! Belated Seasons Greetings - and why I haven't been around lately:

car.JPG