This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Installing Steam

Stephanie

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:02:29 pm

On Monday (one of my days off) I intend to install Steam gaming platform (I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do like some FPS and puzzle games) any tips for this venture please ?

Wolfman

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32:47 pm

Hi Stephanie,

Steam is pre-installed in Zorin OS Ultimate I think?: check under Zorin Menu > Games > Steam and see if it shows in the list!. :D

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valve

http://store.steampowered.com/

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:30:13 am

Hi Wolfman no cant see it but this is the first time I have looked at the pre-installed games and some look quite good, Steam is in Software centre :)

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:43:17 am

Hi Stephanie,

you can simply add it from the Ubuntu Software Center/Synaptic or use the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install steam

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:50:04 am

Oh this is good news Wolfman I thought it may be a complicated processes, thank you :D

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:07:09 am

Mmmm cant seem to find Steam ?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16:40 am

Hi,

you need to look in your menu as it is already installed as I suspected because you are using Zorin Ultimate!. Scan through your menu, it should be listed under the games section!. :D

Give me a min to change to my Zorin Ultimate as I am using Zorin Lite at the mo to update the Lite guide and help a new forum member!.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:20:59 am

Thar be "Steam":

Menu_014.jpg

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:30:32 am

Mine is not the same Wolfman ? mine is Zorin 9 ultimate ?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:50:31 am

Right click Zorin Menu > Edit > Games and see if Steam is listed and has a tick in the box:

Main Menu_015.jpg

You might need to install the app "Alacarte" before you can edit the menu:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

To manually start Alacarte, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type "alacarte" and it will start that way too!.

Code:
alacarte

To manually add an item, open Alacarte then select a section of the menu where you want to add the item and click on "New item" and type the path to the command (copy & paste) in the line where it says "Command", give it a name description in the comments box and click on OK, in your case (Steam), the command is:

Code:
/usr/games/steam %U

Main Menu_017.jpg

Launcher Properties_016.jpg

Make sure you have put a tick in the box!.

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:53:43 am

I have followed your instructions but still cant see steam Wolfman ?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:41:27 am

I have Zorin 9 64-bit Ultimate and it is present - did you buy the disc or download a .zip file? :D

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44:28 am

Hi stephanie,

simple option 1:

Open Zorin menu and there is a searchbar at the bottom, type steam and see it shows up!.

Option 2:

search through the various menu sections starting with "Other" as it may have landed there.

Check the Alacarte menu again to make sure you saved it correctly!. :D

Menu_018.jpg

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:52:44 am

I get in search (no items match your search criteria) , I have been all through the menu in edit from start button and can find no steam.

I downloaded the file Swarfendor437

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:59:12 am

OK did you burn at the slowest possible speed your burner supports? And if you downloaded to GNU/Linux, did you check the md5sum of the zip file - the checksum for downloaded versions of Zorin ultimate is for the zip file and not the .iso you extract! ;)

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:02:05 pm

Yes burnt at x4 and the checksum matched ?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25:25 pm

The checksum of the .zip file?

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27:36 pm

Yes think so .. hope I dont have to download and install again :(

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:34:32 pm

OK, check the md5 sum of your download like this:

Open terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
cd
After cd, press spacebar then name of place where you downloaded the .7z file - e.g. Desktop = cd Desktop]

then

Code:
md5sum [b]Zoriin9_x64-Ultimate.7z[/b]
- where the item is in bold, put the EXACT same file name as the downloaded file - I am on Win7 machine as I write this.

Wait 30 seconds or so for the md5sum to return and check against what was sent in your email to extract.

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:51:21 pm

I did not save the zip or the ISO after burning to disk .. did not think I would need to, so I'm thinking I have not got what I payed for.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:17:19 pm

You did buy it from the official store yes? You still have your e-mail with link to download yes? I always save my .iso files once I know they are working then remove the .7z file.

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56:14 pm

official store yes, but I dont keep emails more then 3 days old as I have many from my work (10 to 15 a day) I did register at the Zorin help desk, can I ask them for another download ? and do I have to do a complete install ?

Edit: I have sent a Ticket to Zorin help desk asking for another download link.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:50:52 pm

Hi,

did you restart after creating the new icon link?, they don't always show immediately after creating them!.

Try booting the Live CD and see if it is in the menu then we can rule out a complete new install which sounds rather drastic as you only have a missing icon!.

You can try starting Steam via the terminal, open a terminal and simply type "steam" and see if it starts, if it does, once started, right click the icon in the taskbar and on "Pin application". :D

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53:14 pm

Hi Wolfman I will try that :)

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:18:05 pm

All sorts of weird stuff happening now ? and cant pin icon ?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:21:52 pm

Hi Stephanie,

did you wait until it finished doing its thing before right clicking and pin application?, it works for me!. :D

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:27:25 pm

OK I'm going to leave it running, thank you Wolfman .. must get an hour or two sleep (working tonight) :)

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:01:41 pm

I just had to install my backup as Zorin kept crashing, I did get the steam launcher up and found that many of my games are not supported by linux so I will leave steam alone untill I can download Zorin again if Zorin help desk send me the link then I'm hoping to repair via the something else method, thanks guys for all your help and can we leave this thread open for the moment :)

Update - answer from Zorin help desk > (Add on installer is not in my system tools) ... :lol: so what to do now :roll:

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:27:47 pm

OK, can't see how you would have managed to download a version for the US market - unless you use proxy servers that make out you are in the US? ;)

Stephanie

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:31:44 pm

I downloaded it via Firefox in Zorin Core and at setup I chose English UK, no proxy used :?:

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:38:42 pm

OK, I think you need to point this out to the Zorin OS team once more - mght be worth quoting this thread in a PM to AZorin or zorink - the Zorin brothers behind the distro and forum Admins. ;)

Stephanie

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:58:40 am

OK thank you Swarfendor437 I will post another ticket at Zorin help desk now, so I will have to perform a clean install that is if they let me download (would it be UK version ?) I did not know there was US / UK :shock:

Stephanie

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:13:26 am

I have posted this at Zorin Help Desk >

Hi Zorin OS Team I'm sorry to inform you that I do not have Add-on Installer in my Start Menu, The Mods at Zorin forum have been helping me with my problem and it seams I downloaded Zorin Ultimate from the US (I as I believe my IP address will show) am in the UK - England, and upon advice of the staff at Zorin Forum please see this thread > viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8901.

I googled for Zorin Ultimate using Firefox in Zorin 9 Core and was not aware there was a UK and US version, I am hoping you may see my problem and allow me to download the correct version for my Country.
Thank you for your time Stephanie.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:54:41 pm

Well there are Core packages that do not have codecs to play DVDs - not allowed in the 'Land of the Free'! There may be other countries involved and if TAPP becomes accepted by the UK we could also be screwed! :(

Wolfman

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:08:51 pm

Hi all,

I didn't know that there was a regional differences in the Ultimate versions?.

I don't understand how the Steam icon can be missing from the menu, as you mentioned that you are having other problems, could you paste a copy of your partition layout as there might be something there that will help us in our quest to help you!.

Mine looks like this:

-dev-sda - GParted_019.jpg

Anonymous

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24:15 pm

For anyone to avoid headaches relative to [ Steam ] installation......
Install [ Gdebi ] via software center.....
Download [ Steam ] from the link at the bottom.....
Install [ Steam ] using [ Gdebi ].....
Reboot

Link : http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Stephanie

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:49:24 pm

I would if I could Wolfman but I dont have Gparted ?

Thank you Gizmuntu I will look at that :)

No answer from Zorin Help Desk yet :(

Anonymous

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15:51 pm

Stephanie using the wrong [ Nvidia Driver ] will play games with your [ Desktop ] via the [ Zorin Menu ] back to Zorin OS 6 !!!! [ Things Vanish ]

I use 304.00 / [ 304.127 ] on all [ Nvidia-Card ] ......installations !!!! [ Very Stable ]

Just because they [ Devs ] say recommneded doesn't mean it will work.

The 331.00 series is like skipping a rock in a pond !!!! :lol: :lol:

Stephanie

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23:58 pm

Hi Gizmuntu I had to reinstall Zorin OS from my backup archive so the nVidia drivers I am using now are the ones dedicated at the first install of Zorin Ultimate OS and I still have many things missing in this OS, beginning to wish I had not payed for Ultimate.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:02:57 pm

Type:

Code:
sudo gparted

in a terminal and enter your PW then paste a screenshot of your partition layout please!. :D

(Gparted is a standard app in Zorin OS and it should already be installed!, Zorin Menu > System Tools > Administration > Gparted)

Stephanie

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:59:25 pm

16.jpg
Thank you Wolfman :), I have had no answer from Zorin Help Desk so I have submitted another ticket hoping I can download the full Zorin Ultimate OS x64 that I have already paid for :)

@ Wolfman

Stephanie

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:06:57 pm

Hoping I may get an answer tomorrow from Zorin Help Desk.

Stephanie

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:54:53 am

I found after my reinstall from archive (also my Docs) I have everything back so thank you guys especially Gizmuntu for your patience :D

Please mark as solved

Wolfman

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:06:36 pm

Hi Stephanie,

I am afraid your problems are far from over and you are going to have to do another install and this time wipe your complete drive and do your partitions correctly, the reason is that you should have 3 partitions, you only have 2, see the partition guide and part 3 as you only want Linux:

You should have a swap, root and home partition!.

Your swap partition should be equal to the size of available RAM, yours is currently nearer 8 so I am assuming you have 8GB of RAM avaialble!.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Root should be anywhere from 15 to 20GBs and the rest you can use for your home!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Stephanie

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:16:11 pm

Ok will look at that bit later ... going shopping :P :D

Wolfman

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:36:27 pm

Stephanie wrote:Ok will look at that bit later ... going shopping :P :D

I have edited my previous last post so please read it again!. :D

Stephanie

Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:30:36 pm

Yes I have 8GB RAM and Zorin is a clean install (two hours ago) on a new 64GB SSD, no partition dedicated as the SSD is the partition, graphics are handled via GTX 650Ti, I will be adding 2 more HHDs (Carver Blacks) very soon .. if it works dont fix it ;)

Wolfman

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:46:25 pm

Hi Stephanie,

alrighty then, please bear in mind that it is better (IMO) to have 3 separate partitions (swap, root and home) instead of two!. :D (I suspect that is why you where having trouble with little things like missing icons!)

Can we mark this as solved or closed?. :D

Stephanie

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51:16 pm

Everything is in place now and yes please mark as solved.

Thank you again for your help guys :D