This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin USB problems

thilly1

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:29:15 pm

Hello,
I have been trying to test Zorin, from USB on 3 different laptops.
1st I can't get it to start at all one.
2nd it starts After a few trys, but crashes after a while.
The 3rd runs it no problem.
I go into Bios and try to start from USB, but doesn't work.
1st Windows 7
2nd Windows 8.1
3rd Windows 7
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Stephanie

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:25:39 pm

Hi thilly1 and welcome :D

If your just testing/having a look at Zorin OS you can run it from live disk.

thilly1

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:39:38 pm

Thanks Stephanie, what do you mean with Live disk??
I have tried burning the ISO to DVD and to USB. all with the same result.

Stephanie

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:08:24 pm

Burn the ISO with (say ImgBurn - freeware) as bootable, then at startup go to your boot order menu (possibly F12) and boot from your CD/DVD drive you will see and option to run or install, go run and Zorin will open and you can use it without installing :D

thilly1

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:18:37 pm

I tried that, burning to DVD at the slowest speed(as it says in the internet) also using Universal USB installer.
It only starts up on one of my machines.
It is a Dell that it works on, the Asus and XMG won't start it

Stephanie

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:24:39 pm

OK please see this post by Wolfman > viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4771

Anonymous

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27:26 pm

It makes things easier > Make/Model x3 :D :D

Pull the battery on the Windows 8.1 machine.
Then put the battery back in and try again.

thilly1

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:20:33 am

Dell l501x Windows 7
XMG P701Windows 8.1
Asus ?? Windows 7

Wolfman

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14:44 pm

Hi,

did you pre-format the USB stick?. (Stephanie posted the link a few posts back but here it is again: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4771

Have you tried pressing the "Tab" key when you see the Zorin menu (if you get that far) on the live CD/USB stick and type "nomodeset"?. :D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

thilly1

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:38:34 pm

Here is a little more information about the Laptops:

1 Dell L501X i7 Q740 @1.73GHz 6GB Ram Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
2 XMG P701 i7 3610QM @2.3GHz 16GB Ram Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
3 Asus Core Duo T7500 @ 2.2GHz 4GB Ram Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

If I go into boot mode and start from USB or DVD with number 1 it starts up and runs Zorin, number 2 starts up from USB after a few tries (not everytime), number 3 won't start up at all.
It just flashes a - (minus sign) in the top left corner. Number 2 does that too most of the time.

I have tried formatted the Stick using miniTool partition in Fatt32, NTFS, and Universal USB installer formatt before writing the ISO.
Every combination tried and with no luck.

Thanks for the help guys and girls
:-)

Wolfman

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:09:49 pm

Hi,

for # 2, do you have secure boot/UEFI switched off in BIOS?.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

#3, did you try the "nomodeset" command?. :D

thilly1

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:02:38 pm

So after lots of messing around, managed to get it working on my XMG.
I had to turn on/off stuff in Bios until it started up and installed, as well as writing the ISO many times to USB.
Zorin froze many time during live and installing, until eventually it worked and installed.
Also wrecked my duel boot grub and couldn't start windows anymore.
In the end I don't know exactly what fixed it.
I learned some stuff over the last few days.
All I can say is the Zorin instalation instructions are a bit vague.
Thanks for the help

Wolfman

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:30:45 am

Hi,

alls well that ends well, have marked as solved!. :D

thilly1

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:22:22 pm

So today when I started my computer it said: error no such partition grub rescue.
I used the boot rescue usb to fix it.
Does Windows automatically try to repair the dual boot?

Wolfman

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:32:12 am

Hi,

that has something to do with GRUB not Windows!, download yourself a copy of Boot Repair, it is a great tool to have by your side:

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

To fix Grub with Boot Repair, see also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

thilly1

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57:27 am

I was using the pc at the weekend on both Zorin and Windows 8.1 without any problem.
Then yesterday when I tried to start it had the problem.
I used boot repair to fix the problem, I'm just a bit affraid it may not start again sometime.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:31:38 am

Hi,

check your software settings against those of the update guide and then do a full system update!. :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Keep the Boot Repair disk handy as it is a very useful tool!. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:52:39 pm

thilly1

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:36:02 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi checkout Matthew Moore video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

and mine:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

:D

Hi,
Thanks for the tip, I have reinstalled everything the non tradiional way.
MBR is left as standard and using EasyBCD 2.2 I created a second path to Zorin.
Now it starts up into the Windows MBR with options of Window or Zorin. then if Zorin is selected starts Grub 2 menu.
I have a question though.
The Grub menu seems slower now, I have Grub customiser and have tried a few different Zorin paths, is there a correct one?
Here some screen shots of the settings

Thanks

Wolfman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:44:35 pm

Hi,

did you use "Ext2" for your partitions?, it should be Ext4!. :D

thilly1

Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:07:15 pm

I used Ext4

Wolfman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:44:20 pm

Hi,

I asked because it says Ext2 on the pics?.

You could try "Boot Repair":

thilly1

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33:43 pm

Boot repair messed up the MBR,

Wolfman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40:20 pm

Hi,

use Boot Repair and use the fix mbr function, reboot and check that only Windows is booting, restart again with the Zorin Live CD/USB and open a terminal and type the following command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

you do not need a password when using the terminal in a live CD, then restart and as long as you are putting Grub on /dev/sda/ and not on the USB stick (/dev/sdb/), you should be good to go!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33:10 pm

Hi, that graphic gave the game away to me - you NEVER put GNU/Linux on the hard drive first then Windows - always the other way around. That is your problem! ;)

thilly1

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:11:29 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, that graphic gave the game away to me - you NEVER put GNU/Linux on the hard drive first then Windows - always the other way around. That is your problem! ;)

Which graphic?
So what does that mean?
Should i completely wipe the drive and split it in two, then install Windows fresh on the first partition and then install Zorin on the second partition?
Then use EasyBCD 2.2 to make the path for Zorin?

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:12:03 pm

Yes - if there is no desperate need for any data on either OS to be removed - if this is too tricky, please advise! :D

thilly1

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:07:00 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Yes - if there is no desperate need for any data on either OS to be removed - if this is too tricky, please advise! :D

I did a fresh install at the weekend of them both, so there is nothing really important on them. Set up the way I like, with stuff installed.I can do that again though.

Wolfman

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:37:21 am

Hi,

take a look at the partition guide which might give you a better idea of how a Winodws/Linux setup should look like:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

IT IS IMPORTANT TO INSTALL WINDOWS FIRST AND THEN LINUX AS SWARF POINTED OUT ABOVE!.

If you are using 2 drives, make sure that the Grub boot manager goes on the first HDD which will be designated as "/dev/sda/".

thilly1

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:25:45 pm

A few questions about the partition sizes, I have a 500GB (well 464.76GB) I was thinking of half half 250GB for windows and then splitting the other 250Gb for Zorin.
I have 16GB ram do I need a swap partition, if yes what size?
Next the root and home partitions, what size should they be, where is software/ programs installed and anything else that I add over time?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:16:06 pm

Based on this article: http://serverfault.com/questions/5841/h ... ory-system

I would choose between 8 Gb or 16 Gb of space.

So, to start from scratch, delete all partitions on disk, then,

1. Install Windows to an NTFS Primary partition of 235 Gb (roughly).

2. Immediately after your NTFS partition create a Primary partition, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/' this will be where the system resides - I usually plump for 30 Gb - this is where most of your GNU/Linux apps reside.

3. Next create an 'Extended/Logical Partition' and at the END of this create your swap area (8 Gb or 16 Gb - you decide after reading the link I gave you.

4. At the BEGINNING of the extended partiton (i.e., everything left in front of 'swap area') format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' - this is where all your personal data and Windows applications reside if you intend to install any windows applications.

5. Install your bootloader for Zorin at the beginning of the partition marked as '/' - make a note of the partition number.

6. Boot into windows and install Easy BCD - and configure your mbr so you can choose at boot time which OS to boot into:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

thilly1

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:39:48 pm

Hi Wolfman and Swarfendor437,

you have two slightly different ways of formatting the drive.

Swarfendor437 you say the extended partition should have swap and home, root/primary is not in the extended partition, swap is right in extended partition.

Wolfman you say the extended partition should have swap, home and root, swap is left in extended partition

Does it make a difference?
:?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14:40 pm

All I know is it works from experience! ;)

If you were to let Zorin do it's own thing it would put 'root' ['/'] and '/home' in one partition and 'swap area' at the end.

I have never had an issue with Zorin doing the way I suggest.

In the past I would do:

Windows, swap area, root, home. :D

Wolfman

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:24:22 am

You say "Tomato" I say "Tomato", I use 3 partitions, others say use only 2, I use 3 because if I ever have to do a fresh install, I have my home intact and won't format it during installtion, if you only have a swap and root, you can't do that!.

See the Something else guide which might help you decide whats best for you!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Hope it helps!. :D

thilly1

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:38:39 am

Thanks for the answers guys,

You both have 3 partitions, Wolfman yours are 3 in the extended and Swarfendor437 you only have 2 in extended and the root is outside of it.
That was mainly issue I was asking about.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:00:58 am

Take a look at my partition guide again and do what you think is best for you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto ... ningBasics

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:50:13 pm

thilly1 wrote:Thanks for the answers guys,

You both have 3 partitions, Wolfman yours are 3 in the extended and Swarfendor437 you only have 2 in extended and the root is outside of it.
That was mainly issue I was asking about.

Well most OS's tend to be a 'Primary' Partition, but it does not have to be - it is possible to chainload as many different OS's without ever having a Primary partition! But I never got round to trying it - it is just what I am used to! :D

thilly1

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:18:15 am

So, I have been playing around this week and formatted as Wolfman,(all inside an extended partition).
I Put the boot in the root partition, then used Easybcd.
It would not boot Zorin.
I then used boot repair, its wrecked the mbr.
It also added an ext2 /boot partition.
After some more messing about, managed to fix the mbr and use easybcd again. This time it worked.
So now I can boot both, but.....
I used grub customiser, to rearance the boot order, and when I reboot it is still the old grub order.
Seems like there is two grubs, one which I am able to customize and the one which mbr (easybcd) is directed to when I select Zorin.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Wolfman

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:38:23 am

Hi,

never put GRUB in your root partition, this is your problem, the MBR (bootloader) is at the beginning of the main HDD first partition, when you install your Linux OS, (regardless of which version) always select /dev/sda/ for your GRUB installation, your problem is you have two bootloaders!. One in MBR and the other in ROOT!.

See also:

http://www.howtogeek.com/196520/grub2-1 ... ot-loader/

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

Hope it helps!. :D

thilly1

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:07:26 am

I want the non traditional method, as shown in the video in an earlier post.
By that I mean the windows mbr still active, just altered with easybcd, to have two entrys, original Windows and new Zorin. Then by clicking Zorin it goes to the Zorin partition and searches for the boot loader, which the path can be set in easybcd.
Hope this makes sense.

Wolfman

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:17:56 am

Hi,

I have never used easybcd but you can take a look at their website to see if you can find any pointers which might help:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/dual- ... ux/ubuntu/

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:02:44 pm

Hi, I wonder if GRUB is still lurking in the mbr. Just to clean things up, I would try once more:

1. Delete all GNU/Linux partitions.

2. Boot with your Windows 7 DVD or use repair disc (I mentioned how to create the repair disc in my video)

3. Choose repair and then choose the additional options - see my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7564&p=36637&hilit=fixmbr+If+GNU%2FLinux+is+not+for+you#p36637

Then when you install Zorin once more, add the GRUB to the beginning of the 'primary partition'[!!!] you set '/'
on - make a note of where this is - if you make it 30 Gb say - you will recognise this in Easy BCD setup!

Install EasyBCD after you have installed Zorin - GRUB will not show up until you reinstall EasyBCD - just as in Matthew Moore's video.

thilly1

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:27:30 pm

Ahhhhhhhh,

After loads more messing about, this is the largest news:

Fresh install of both windows and Zorin, used easybcd to add Zorin to the mbr.
Worked fine, updates both and resarted both many times.
I kept checking that both OS start up, so far so good.
Now Windows won't start, Zorin is fine.
I am starting to loose my patients.
I have spend ages searching and reading online.
I have used bootrec and diskpart in cmd to try to repair the mbr.
I am thinking to sack Windows off, only thing is there is probably things in Windows I need.
I may try boot repair and just go with Grub2, see if that works.
How do I use my Nvida graphic card?
What programs could there be that I cannot get in unbuntu?
As anyone found a real problem with only using Zorin?
Thanks

Wolfman

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:49:26 pm

Hi,

as long as you only have Windows and Zorin OS installed, use Boot repair to fix the bootloader!:

thilly1

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:02:26 am

I tried everything, can't get windows to boot.

Boot repair, MBR and Grub.

Windows start repair
Cmd:
Diskpart: activate partition,
Bootrec: fixmbr, fixboot and rebuildbcd.
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s, renaming the boot etc.

Nothing worked.

So just reinstalled Windows for the 4 or 5 time, left the boot partition alone,so the dual boot was still in the MBR when it had finished installing.
As of now they are both booting, but Windows as not finished updating there is still 70+ updates to go.
As in the previous post, I check both OS after every update/ reboot.
I hope this time everything works out.
fingers crossed.
:ugeek:

Wolfman

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:37:54 am

Hi,

make sure you have your partitions setup more or less like the partition guide in section 1, which is for dual booters!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:08:00 pm

I am wondering if the bootsector of the mbr whic is only 512 Kilobytes is foobard. It can happen! :(

thilly1

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:32:23 pm

Both OS are fully upto date.
They both boot, without problem.
I will keep checking over the next few days/weeks.

Two other questions:
The internet conection browsers keep disconecting, if I restart or disconect, then reconect, it is ok.
The updates cannot be ticked, they briefly show then disapear.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Wolfman

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:04:24 pm

Hi,

make sure your software sources download location is set to "Main", see the update guide about the blank boxes!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247