This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Mouse Freeze

zio

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:14:01 pm

I was away for a few months. Of course, when I returned there were a lot of updates for Zorin 9 which I immediately installed. Unfortunately, since then about every few hours (sometimes more often) the mouse will freeze. The only way to recover is to shut-off the computer and reboot. I suspect that something related to the mouse did not install properly during the updates. Do you have any suggestions on how to re-install items related to the mouse? :(

Wolfman

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:40:12 pm

Hi,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste this command and then restart:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See the following also and make sure your software sources download location is set to "Main":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if it helps!. :D

zio

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:40:17 pm

Thanks Wolfman. I'll give it a try.

zio

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14:09 pm

I ran the command that you suggested above and checked the software sources download location. I found this: "Zorin supported free and open-source software (main)". Is that correct? Or should other items be set to main.

After about an hour no problem. Unfortunately, this morning after quite a while the mouse again froze. Perhaps I was mistaken and it is being caused by another issue. Any other suggestions. The system is unacceptable with these freezes.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02:31 pm

Please when posting add some more details: Notebook/Desktop, make/model, Branded machine or 'grey' (Desktop), USB Mouse/Wireless mouse, If notebook if touchpad and brand (e.g., Cypress, Alps etc.) ;)

Wolfman

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:04:19 am

See post # 2 here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1190659

If you need further info about boot parameters!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

zio

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:44:27 am

Sorry, I should have provided this information on my first post. I have the following system:
Computer: Dell Desktop Dimension C521
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ X2
Graphics: Gallium 0.4 llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4 128 bits)
Memory: 4 GB
Mouse and Keyboard: Wireless Logitech
Operating systems: Zorin 9, Zorin 8 (not used) and Windows XP
Harddrive Partitions: Windows XP 48GB, Data 59GB, Zorin 8 16GB, Zorin 9 24GB, linux swap 1.9GB

zio

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:17:26 pm

Wolfman,
I looked at your link and it suggests I add the following line to /etc/default/grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic".

About a year ago when I was having trouble installing Zorin 9, I needed to set acpi=off. Now, I am not sure if I should follow the above suggestion. What are your thoughts?

What is the difference between noapic and acpi=off?

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:57:35 pm

zio

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:36:57 am

Thanks for the reference Swarfendor437. Unfortunately, setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic" did not help. I cannot tolerate having to restart the system about once an hour. Especially, when it occurs right in the middle of my entering information. Please be patient and continue to help if you can.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:43:06 am

zio wrote:Wolfman,
I looked at your link and it suggests I add the following line to /etc/default/grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic".

About a year ago when I was having trouble installing Zorin 9, I needed to set acpi=off. Now, I am not sure if I should follow the above suggestion. What are your thoughts?

What is the difference between noapic and acpi=off?

Hi zio,

try acpi=off first, if it doesn't work, re-edit and try noacpi, I really don't know what the difference is, take a look here which might help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A BACK-UP COPY OF THE FILE YOU EDIT!. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:51:01 am

zio wrote:Thanks for the reference Swarfendor437. Unfortunately, setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic" did not help. I cannot tolerate having to restart the system about once an hour. Especially, when it occurs right in the middle of my entering information. Please be patient and continue to help if you can.

It doesn't look good I'm afraid - don't blame Zorin, blame Logitech! ;)

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards ... 458#M52448

Plus another possible issue?:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/463858/c ... uency-band

zio

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20:56 pm

Wolfman,

When I added the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noapic" the line before it already contained GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=off". So both commands are in the /etc/default/grub file. The mouse still freezes.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:37:45 pm

Try running the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) commands:

Code:
sudo apt-get update --fix-missing

If that doesn't help, try:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

Restart in both cases!.

Alrighty then, if the above didn't help, try editing this line and adding "nomodeset", (I'm only guessing as I don't know because normally "nomodeset" would deal with graphics!). DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT MIGHT SCREW YOUR GRAPHICS SETTINGS!. DON'T FORGET TO BACK-UP THE GRUB FILE BEFOREHAND!.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" "nomodeset"

If its wireless, have you tried moving the transmitter thingy to a different USB port?. (I only ever use cable mice as I hate those WiFi thingies!)

Swarfendor437

Fri May 01, 2015 12:02:28 pm

Like I stated earlier, this is a Logitech problem, not a Zorin one, i.e., lack of suitable GNU/Linux drivers:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2239419

In the past when I had an issue installing Dream Linux to a rig with a wireless keyboard and Mouse (Trust Multimedia) it would not pick it up at all whilst running the distro live - I first had to use a wired keyboard and mouse to do the install, shut down the machine, attached wireless keyboard and mouse, rebooted after removing wired devices and all worked well - not saying it will work for you! ;)

zio

Fri May 01, 2015 1:31:47 pm

Swarfendor437,

I do not understand. The mouse was working perfectly from May 1014 to January 2015. Then I was away for 4 months. When I returned very recently there were a great deal of updates installed. Now the mouse freezes about once an hour -- extremely problematic. So if it is a driver problem what I do not understand is: why did it work OK from May to January?

zio

Fri May 01, 2015 4:04:11 pm

Are you saying that if I use a different non-Logitech mouse the problem will disappear?

Anonymous

Fri May 01, 2015 7:56:24 pm

I don't have time today for details.
Recent
Logitech Mice > Updates > Windows 8.1 > Freezes

Things to look for !!!! [ Troubleshooting ]
Change > Adjust

Graphics Driver [ Related Updates ]

Compiz [ Tweaking ]

Wolfman

Sat May 02, 2015 5:59:10 am

zio wrote:Swarfendor437,

I do not understand. The mouse was working perfectly from May 1014 to January 2015. Then I was away for 4 months. When I returned very recently there were a great deal of updates installed. Now the mouse freezes about once an hour -- extremely problematic. So if it is a driver problem what I do not understand is: why did it work OK from May to January?

It is most likely those updates that are causing your woes!, do you have a cable mouse?. :D

Is your software sources download location set to "Main"?.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 02, 2015 10:15:13 am

I suspect the issue is kernel updates - when GRUB loads, choose 'Advanced Options' then choose an earlier kernel at boot time - once you know which one that works fine, remove the others following this method:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1273932

zio

Sat May 02, 2015 11:59:11 am

Wolfman,
Yes, Zorin supported free and open-source software is set to "Main"

Swarjendor437,
Thanks, I give it a go. In advanced options, do I try just generic or generic (recovery mode)?

Wolfman

Sat May 02, 2015 7:27:36 pm

Did you move the transmitter thingy to a different USB port?. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat May 02, 2015 10:04:37 pm

Try the advanced boot options for Zorin which should list all your previous kernels - choose the earliest one to begin with and then the next one at each subsequent boot so that you get to know which kernels to remove. :D

zio

Sun May 03, 2015 3:28:24 am

I not only moved the transmitter, I tried a different mouse (Targus) and it also froze. I am now trying different kernals. I am just trying the generic ones and not the recovery mode kernals.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 03, 2015 11:53:04 am

Yes sorry - late when I posted and the grey cells of mine are deteriorating! Just the general kernel options that are listed and not the recovery options for each one, that is correct.

zio

Sun May 03, 2015 1:59:36 pm

Thnaks, I'm down to generic 39 and still trying.

zio

Mon May 04, 2015 5:07:45 pm

Yesterday I was desperate to get my system working correctly. After some searching on the internet I found that my problem may be due to outdated Nvidia drivers. So, I ran the following command at the termninal:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates.

Now the system appears to boot normally and I am even able to sign-in. However, after signing-in I get only a blank screen with the mouse curser and the system is completely locked up. IT IS BROKEN. Should I try to re-install Zorin? If I do will I lose all my files (e.g. email, etc)? Please help. The last thing I want to do is to go back to windows.

Wolfman

Tue May 05, 2015 2:33:23 am

Hi,

check out this guide and the part about removing Nvidia drivers in recovery mode ("Alternative removal options:")!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

If you do choose to do a fresh install, follow this guide (Install using the "Something else Method") and you won't lose your settings and files!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

zio

Tue May 05, 2015 2:49:27 pm

I was not able to get into a terminal to try the guide about removing Nvidia drivers. No matter how I booted into the system I got a blank screen and not even Ctrl-alt-t would get me there. So, I decided to bite-the-bullet and do a fresh install in the following manner:

I ran Gparted Live from a CD and deleted Zorin 9, Zorin 8 and the Linux swap paritions. I left my data partitions and my Windows XP paritition. I recalled from a post last year in which Zwarfendor437 mentioned that Wolfman was using Zorin 32bit OS on a 64bit machine. So, I installed Zorin 9 Core 32 instead of Zorin 9 Core 64 (once again I needed to turn ACPI=OFF during the installation similar to when I installed Zorin 9 64 last year). Although I have lost all of my settings my data partition is intact and Windows XP is available as a dual boot. What a relief!! My hope is that this will avoid the problems that I was having with Zorin 9.

However, I would like to know if Zwarfendor437 and/or Wolfman think that I should install Zorin 9 Core 64. I would be easy enough to do at this point since I have not started working on my settings and I have the installation process sequence.

Wolfman

Tue May 05, 2015 3:53:43 pm

Hi zio,

stick with 32 Bit, it works fine on both my PC's!. :D

Can we mark this as solved?. :D

zio

Tue May 05, 2015 8:40:02 pm

Absolutely NOT. The original problem has returned. While configuring Firefox Privacy settings the mouse cursor froze. I am about to give up on Zorin.

Wolfman

Wed May 06, 2015 4:29:53 am

Hi zio,

look at the OS installation settings in BIOS like?, and what are the Plug and Play settings like?, are they set to "On" (Enable) or "Off" (Disable)?. Try playing around with those settings!. :D

Other than that; I can really only recommend you try Zorin Lite or another version of Ubuntu (15.04) and/or, change to a cable mouse!. I don't use wireless devices on my PC as I had problems years ago with them under Windows and it was just a pain!.