This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

wine windows program loader quit working

obie67

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:41:51 pm

Zorin OS 9 my wine windows program loader stopped working, possibly after a Zorin update and computer restart. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling wine, but still won't run my .exe programs. Error may be with some kind of pre-loader. Open to suggestions. :|

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:12:32 am

Okay, when you use 'autoremove' it only removes the main bits - if you use 'purge' everything is removed so lets try 'purging' wine.

1. Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge wine

2. You will be asked for your password which will not show up in any shape or form i.e., asterisks, so be careful you enter your login password correctly! (You get three attempts before having to enter the sudo command and you don't have to retype at the prompt, just use your up cursor arrow ;)

3. You will be asked to answer Y or N to remove wine - obviously we want Y.

4. Still in the terminal enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install wine

You willl be asked do you want to install x addtitional packages etc - Y you do

5. Still in the terminal enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then re-start your machine to see if things are back to normal.

Keep us posted! :D

obie67

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:14:43 pm

Thanks... I've got other problems now, can't even get past password screen, just keeps looping, but if I ever get back, I can try your suggestion.

O.T.S.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:09:53 am

Thanks for this. I was having the exact same problem as obie67 and this fixed it for me. My prompts weren't exactly as described, but I used the commands as printed and wine is up & running again.