This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZorinOs, does not like me.

Trillax

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:49:45 am

Hey.

I can log into ZorinOs, but after that I do not have much luck with this Operating System. It is very slow opening the Menu, and even slower when trying to open one of the App's. Even if I get the App openm I never know when Zorin is going to freeze up on me, where even the mouse is frozen. Then there are the instances where the mouse moves freely about the screen, but its left and right buttons are useless.

Sometimes I am able to reboot it by holding down Alt+PrintScreen and typing R E I S U B. Unfortunately that does not always work and in those instances I have to power down from the Tower.

I am running Zorin OS 11. I am well aware that it is limited in the length it will be supported. If I were to install ZorinOS 9, there is no guarantee that my problems I am beset with this new version, will not manifest with the LTS version.

About a week ago, more or less I died install version 9.1 but it did not appear on the Grub Screen Menu, although it showed up on Gparted at "/dev/sda4". A couple days ago was when I installed ZorinOS 11 on the same partition as Zorin OS 9.1 had been situated.

When I would go to reboot, there would be "Manjaro Linux on /dev/sda3", "Mageia 5 on /dev/sda5", "PCLinuxOS on /dev/sda6", and "LinuxMint 17,3 on /dev/sda7"

Roughly ten hours ago ZorinOS shows up on the Grub Screen Menu, as /dev/sda4 and I did nothing that I am aware of to facilitate this change.

I booted into Zorin's 'Splash screen' where I entered my password to the default home screen, but nothing worked. I rebooted using the REISUB schtick, and when Grub opened, I scrolled down to ZorinOS and clicked on the advanced option and then the 'recovery' button. My intent was to open Networking and enter the command:

'sudo apt-get install nvidia-current'.

Well, to make a long story short. . . too late! I settled for 'Repairing broken packages', and it was here I was able to enter the above-mentioned command to install Nvidia Driver 304. It was from this point that I could login to ZorinOS, but the rest is as stated above.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:39:08 am

I think your problem is that you have too many OS'es on your system UNLESS you know how to "chainload". ;) :D

Trillax

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:08:00 am

Whether I have too any distros isnot the question, the question is why has Zorin given me such grief whereas the others have not?
When I select Zorin from the Grub Menu screen, there are a few seconds before it takes me to the login screen. This is what I saw in the screen before it opened the login window:

"Fsck from linux 2.26.2
/dev/sda4: Recovery journal
/dev/sda4: Clearing orphan inode 184774 (uid=1000, gid=1000, mode= e =8192)
.dev/sda4: Clearing orphan inode 184771 (uid=1000, gid=1000, mode = e =16960)
/dev/sda4: Clearing orphan inode 184773 (uid=1000, gid=1000, mode = e=16960)
/dev/sda4: clean, 271333/625856 files, 1662256/2499840 blocks"

I don't know if what you see above, will be of any help in resolving this dilemma?

Trillax

I took screenshots of this and other issues, but I have not had a whole lot of luck posting them.
Maybe I should check out "How to", it may tell me how to post screenshots?

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:42:20 pm

Well if it keeps coming up with fsck this is the same as 'chkdsk' in Windows - you have a hard drive issue - my point about too many OSes is that there is a maximum of 4 Primary Partitions which is what you have if you install 1 GNU/Linux after the other - unless you "chainload". In a recent Linux User & Developer article I read on Triple booting (1 Windows and 2 Linux OSes) advise was given to use a GNU/Linux utility that defrags the initial distro before adding a second! ;) :D