This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

I'm a beginner. Need some help.

onelostpuppy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:55:33 am

Hi Everybody!

I think this is more of a "how do I find this feature" kind of question. First, in the review and usage videos I have found for Zorin OS. It shows multiple desktops in a square and they are able to slide left or right to change the desktop. Sorry if I don't know the correct term for that feature, but I would like very much to know how to use that.

Secondly, I want to use live wallpapers. I am unsure of how to go about this. I installed komorebi and livewallpaper, but they are just overlays and I loose my shortcuts and right clicking when I use them. I want a true live wallpaper that doesn't change any of my functions.

Should I just give up on trying to play windows games with Zorin? I'm playing around with Wine and have read other forums and such for the games I want to play. And everyone says if you want to play windows games using Wine is the way to go, but I can't get any game to run. I would really like to be able to play starcraft, starcraft 2, diablo 3, sims 4...ect. I've also created VM using virtual box to try and get my games playing again, but the lag isn't ideal. My best solution so far is using TeamViewer to connect to win7 machine I have hooked up through a crossover cable for sub 1ms latency. And even then the mouse delay isn't very desireable.

The point of installing Zorin was to replace windows, and I really love Zorin for about 70% of the stuff I do. But that other 30% make me think I wont be able to get away from windows for the other stuff I enjoy. If that's the case I might as well go back to win7. I have also looked into setting up dual boots. Which would be great if I could switch between them seamlessly, but then I run into the problem of needing to restart my comp each time I want to switch. Thus again I might as well just use windows and then have Zorin on a VM. What would be acceptable is if I could hot swap OS's. That would eliminate the need for a second machine or VM and would also make it so I didn't need to restart my comp every time I wanted to switch.

Are those features of Zorin OS Ultimate? I only have Zorin OS core. I love this OS, but all the features I keep seeing in the videos I either don't have access to. Or have no idea how to get them going. Silly questions I know, but this is my first linux distro of any sort. Am I expecting too much? I know my thoughts are scattered in this post, but that's also why I am asking for assistance. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:16:21 pm

OK, the bit you are referring to in respect of multiple workspaces is Compiz - I could not get it to work properly in 12 but others have (I am running Ultimate by the way that comes with Zorin Background Plus which allows live wallpaper - the only other free distribution that offers this is 'Netrunner' -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9I5ug1ds5c

https://sourceforge.net/projects/netrunneros/

For Compiz on a lite desktop:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/makulu/files/Flash/

As for what runs you need to check out the 2 prime sites:

http://winehq.org

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility

;) :D

onelostpuppy

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49:16 am

Wanted to update the status of where i'm at.

First off, thanks a ton for the reply. I got to playing around with Wine for a bit and to get everything going the way it should be was a bit confusing to me, but through my searches I found PlayOnLinux. Made it a lot easier to get what was required for getting the games running. It wasen't until I started tinkering with PoL to fix the graphics from stuttering that I started to understand how Wine worked in general. Makes a ton more sense now, and I could probably get the games running without PoL and only using Wine. Took me forever to find a way to set cpu affinities in Wine, and once I did. I just felt dumb lol.

Even after all that it came down I just needed to switched GPU drivers. Which was easily achieved through the Software & Updates. The Nouveau default drivers were most certainly the cause of the graphics stuttering. Let me just say once I switched the GPU drivers my entire life changed. Even got to change the Digital Vibrance. Everything looks amazing. Made me feel so noob not to pursue the GPU drivers first. Should have been obvious lol.

Many thanks for clarifying the live wallpaper and Compiz for me. Guess I will be getting Ultimate soon.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40:36 am

onelostpuppy wrote:Wanted to update the status of where i'm at.

First off, thanks a ton for the reply. I got to playing around with Wine for a bit and to get everything going the way it should be was a bit confusing to me, but through my searches I found PlayOnLinux. Made it a lot easier to get what was required for getting the games running. It wasen't until I started tinkering with PoL to fix the graphics from stuttering that I started to understand how Wine worked in general. Makes a ton more sense now, and I could probably get the games running without PoL and only using Wine. Took me forever to find a way to set cpu affinities in Wine, and once I did. I just felt dumb lol.

Even after all that it came down I just needed to switched GPU drivers. Which was easily achieved through the Software & Updates. The Nouveau default drivers were most certainly the cause of the graphics stuttering. Let me just say once I switched the GPU drivers my entire life changed. Even got to change the Digital Vibrance. Everything looks amazing. Made me feel so noob not to pursue the GPU drivers first. Should have been obvious lol.

Many thanks for clarifying the live wallpaper and Compiz for me. Guess I will be getting Ultimate soon.

Just so that you understand, Compiz does NOT come with Zorin 12.1 Ultimate - it is something to install after you have installed Ultimate - I'm currently living without it.

Whilst on the subject of wine, if you get Deepin 15.3 installed it comes with an older version of Cross-Over (you would normally pay a hefty price for and it is legal - checked this aspect out on Cup Of LInux - one that you normally have to pay for so it takes all the donkey work out of configuring Wine. ;) :D

Oh and forgot to add Voyager 16.4.2 has done a great job of having different choices of moving wallpaper for Firefox using HTML5 animations of seashores! ;) :D

MBMz10

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:55:49 pm

A few points to add to Swarfendor437 reply;

The live wallpaper (Zorin Background Plus) in Zorin 12.1 Ultimate, when running or turned 'on' will disable your desktop icons whist running, in fact they will disappear until you turn it 'off'. I just watched the Netrunner live wallpaper video and noticed the desktop icons remained while running live wallpaper, nice!

You can have multiple desktops in Zorin 12, but not the 'cube' unless you install Compiz and likely to have theming issues, well I did and still unable to resolve thus far.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:12:13 pm

Funny how Zorin Background Plus in Zorin 5 Ultimate allowed you to make the background semi transparent and Icons could be seen - guess it is a Gnome Shell issue! (But also never had icons showing from 6 Ultimate onwards if I remember correctly! ;)

Finston Pickle

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:32:57 am

The six views of alternate desktops are in "appearance changer" (you can find this by typing this name above the black Z in the blue hexagon) - for some reason they are not identified as to which operating system they represent - you are expected to recognise them by sight (a typical linux system way forward in my experience - you are expected to know lots of basic info before you have learned it).

I use the Windows 7 layout, which seems to be OK - top left, if i remember correctly. Perhaps the idea is to work your way through them all and the find one you like, not worrying as to what they are called

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:10:10 am

Finston Pickle wrote:The six views of alternate desktops are in "appearance changer" (you can find this by typing this name above the black Z in the blue hexagon) - for some reason they are not identified as to which operating system they represent - you are expected to recognise them by sight (a typical linux system way forward in my experience - you are expected to know lots of basic info before you have learned it).

I use the Windows 7 layout, which seems to be OK - top left, if i remember correctly. Perhaps the idea is to work your way through them all and the find one you like, not worrying as to what they are called

I also suspect protection against copyright infringement claims from the other OS stables.

MBMz10

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43:09 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:The six views of alternate desktops are in "appearance changer" (you can find this by typing this name above the black Z in the blue hexagon) - for some reason they are not identified as to which operating system they represent - you are expected to recognise them by sight (a typical linux system way forward in my experience - you are expected to know lots of basic info before you have learned it).

I understood this the other way, that is, because Zorin targets people from other OS's ( EG: Windows, Mac) there is no point having 'names' for the layouts so a Graphic representation gives a better idea what it may look like. When I first started using Linux I had no idea what Unity Mate Gnome Xfce etc meant so no point using those terms. A picture is worth a thousand words :D (pun intentional)

And yes I agree, click your way through them and see what you like...

Thomas_ww0

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29:53 am

Did you update Wine?
Yesterday I installed Zorin 12.2
Today I made an update Wine from 1.6.2 to 2.4 !

Terminal commands:
wine --version
sudo apt purge wine*
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel
wine --version
[System Reboot]
wine .
sudo apt install playonlinux

in the next step I will test PaintShop Pro Version 3 and 5