This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Video Drivers

mdiemer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:44:13 pm

I just switched my video driver from the default Nouveau one to Nvidia. Two questions:

Good idea or no?

after switching, I noticed that during startup, instead of the screen where you see the big Z, I now see the word Zorin, with four dots that appear and disappear one by one. Is this caused by the switch?

I switched because I had a shutdown recently during startup. In the past, this has tended to be caused by driver issues. It has happened with other distros as well.

qnarkill

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:07:15 pm

mdiemer wrote:I just switched my video driver from the default Nouveau one to Nvidia. Two questions:
Good idea
Is this caused by the switch?

- yes, you'll notice a lot better performance especially in games.
I would 99% say that it is so if you haven't changed anything else. Haven't seen it though so can't be sure.

mdiemer

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42:06 pm

Thanks. not much of a gamer, but I'll take better performance any day.

mdiemer

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:40:34 pm

I'm having weird problems since switching to Nvidia drivers. Sometimes computer won't wake up from suspend, sometimes saying I need to switch monitor settings. I already have them set to highest resolution. So, I switched back to the Nouveau drivers. Will see how that goes.

Addendum: Just did a reboot. The big Z is back, and my computer boots faster! Plus 1 for Nouveau drivers.

qnarkill

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:05:09 pm

In my knowledge there was some sort of driver issues for some version.
Which version did you try?
https://askubuntu.com/questions/883648/ ... and-378-13

mdiemer

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19:57 pm

I used the latest version, 340 something.

qnarkill

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:26:11 pm

Well some of the drivers might be buggy. Try which one works best?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-archive.html

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59:11 pm

Hi mdiener, when you install nvidia drivers it replaces GDM with ldm (Gnome Desktop Manager with light desktop manager) - that is why I prefer sticking with Nouveau but that is just down to my personal experience with my nVidia GT620 2Gb Graphics card. And I still prefer VGA over DV-I and HDMI - I can't stand letterbox boot screens! :lol: