This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Could not request list of shared folders from server

Hensyr Wolf

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40:32 pm

Hi there,

Trouble in sharing folders...
I have 4 computers in a network called: WORKGROUP
2 Windows 7 computers and 2 Zorin OS 12.2 Core computers
When i open the network in one Windows 7 computer then i see all 4 computers and i can get in to the shared folder Downloads which is emtpy at the moment but i have no permissions to do something in that folder (that is problem one)
Second problem
When i go to "Other locations" and click on "Windows-network" ill see the WORKGROUP icon, but when i open the workgroup i got this message: Could not request list of shared folders from server: invalid argument

What could here be the problem?

I have succesfully installed Samba if one should ask for it

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15:30 am

Do you have CIFS installed too? As I understand it you have to set up share permissions on the Windows side to access Windows folders, i.e., folders by name so for example you couldn't do a global share of C:\ drive but a named folder. Can you be more clear as to which folder on which OS you are having issues with please? Thanks.

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:23:24 pm

Hi dear Swarfendor437,

Thanks for your answer,
Of course it's a little hard to explain everything in English but I'm doing my best.

Forget the Windows section, what I want to accomplish now is that two Zorin OS computers can see each other in the WORKGOUP network.

Do you have CIFS installed too?
Yes i have.

Can you be more clear as to which folder on which OS you are having issues with please? Thanks.
Yes i will do my best, here it comes:

Forget everything about the Windows computers, focus just on the two Zorin OS 12.2 Core computers

All the computers are in the same network: WORKGROUP

When i open an terminal window on the Linux computers en give the command: smbtree
then you wil see all the computers are on the same WORKGROUP

Code:
zorinhendrik@Desktop1-Medion:~$ smbtree
Enter zorinhendrik's password:
WORKGROUP
   \\W7-HOOFD-PC          
   \\LINUXHENDRIK-AS      linuxhendrik-Aspire-7730ZG server (Samba, Ubuntu
   \\DESKTOP1-MEDION      Desktop1-Medion server (Samba, Ubuntu)
      \\DESKTOP1-MEDION\share 1           
      \\DESKTOP1-MEDION\IPC$              IPC Service (Desktop1-Medion server (Samba, Ubuntu))
      \\DESKTOP1-MEDION\Downloads         
      \\DESKTOP1-MEDION\print$            Printer Drivers
   \\ATILA-PC     

see picture:

i will explain wat you see in the terminal:

\\W7-HOOFD-PC = the head computer Windows 7
\\LINUXHENDRIK-AS = is the laptop with Zorin OS 12.2 Core (LINUX)
\\DESKTOP1-MEDION = the second Zorin OS 12.2 Core computer (LINUX)
\\ATILA-PC is my wife her Windows 7 computer

Don't look at the Windows computers, but you see that the two Linux computers are in the same network: WORKGROUP
So there is fundamentally nothing wrong with the network, only i can not reach them in nautilus, that's the main reason of this topic.

Explain the folders:

When i go to the laptop (Zorin OS 12.2 Core) and open the home folder, then i open the pictures folder, there is a shared folder called "share 2" with a text file in that folder.
When i go to the desktop (Zorin OS 12.2 Core) and open the home folder, then i open the pictures folder, there is also a shared folder called "share 1" with in it a text file.

When i go in both Zorin computers and open the home folder then in the left panel you will see "other locations", when i click on it you wil see "computer" and other drives, but below you see "windows-network".
When i click on Windows-network, you will see the icon "WORKGROUP"
When i double click on the icon WORKGROUP then i should see all the computers in that network, but instead ill get an error: "Could not request list of shared folders from server: invalid argument"

Two weeks ago when it still was Zorin OS 12.1 Core on both computers i could see the workgroup, see picture:

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:47:02 pm

Appears to be an issue from iteration to iteration of ubuntu's lmbsclient?:

https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 64564.html

It's a very long thread! ;)

However, this might be the solution?:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/156169/ ... ss-network

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16:41 pm

Hi dear Swarfendor437,

The problem is solved!

The problem was, however, with Windows, with the antivirus program causing trouble

After reading the long topic I came across this topic: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149

Reading problem number 5 brought me here: https://support.microsoft.com/nl-be/help/177078/antivirus-software-may-cause-event-id-2011

Making the registry key IRPStackSize and give it the value 18 (15 default value +3 = 18) and suddenly the problem was solved.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34:59 pm

Hi Hensyr, great job! Thanks for sharing the suction. ;) :D