This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] "Install libvte-2.91-0 manually" - what, how?

wombat140

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:18:46 am

When tryong to install Timeshift, a System Restore-type progrm, as per instructions on its website, I got this:
Code:
[much blah]
==============================================================================
Installation completed
==============================================================================
Following packages could not be installed. Please install these manually:
> libvte-2.91-0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start the application using shortcut in Applications Menu
Or execute the command: timeshift-launcher
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had similar alarming messages before when trying to install something throughh the command line and it's turned out to be fine, but this time when I typed "timeshift-launcher" I gpot this:
Code:
/usr/bin/timeshift-launcher: line 15: [: =: unary operator expected
timeshift-gtk: error while loading shared libraries: libvte-2.91.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Well, I don't yet know one end of Linux from the other and I certainly don't know what that means or how you install a library. Anyone know how to fix this, please?

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59:47 pm

Hi, if you can, I would advise you enter the following command first to start afresh:

Code:
sudo apt purge timeshift
- clicking on 'Select All' will copy the command to your clipboard for you to paste into a terminal - you will need your login password which will not show in any shape or form (dots or asterisks) so be careful - you get three attempts to get it right before starting over if you mistype your password.

Then follow the advice here:

http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/07/30/crea ... ntu-16-04/

wombat140

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:29:14 am

I'm getting this:
Code:
ab@ab-Satellite:~$ sudo apt purge timeshift
[sudo] password for ab:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package timeshift

And after doing this Timeshift still seems to be there, to the limited extent that it ever was, i.e. I can type "timeshift-launcher" and get the same error message about a missing library. Am I perhaps running the command from the wrong folder? If so, which is the right folder?

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:08:16 pm

OK, did you put Time shift in a folder somewhere and tried installing it from there? As I don't know how you installed it originally I can't say. ;)

zorinantwerp

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:28:08 pm

Hi timeshift is a fine program to work with so stick onto it (if you can)

can you find your installed version under the menu 'software' and simply remove it from there?

in reply to yr question where are files located (see mine)

+++

wombat140

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:46:20 pm

I don't know what ZorinAntwerp means by the software menu, but no sign of it under "Installed" in ubuntu Software Centrer if that's what you mean - I'm using orin 9, as it's a prety old laptop, so perhaps this has changed in 12.
However, I did do a search for files (sorry, didn't think of that) and found the same files in the same places as ZorinAntwerp, e.g. there's a file called "timeshift", without any extension but marked as "Program", in usr/bin. Should "apt purge" work whatever folder you're in at the time?

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:09:30 am

Hi, follow this cheat sheet guide.

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-de ... sheet.html

Another way of ensuring it is in the correct place is to install Gdebi Package Manager from the Terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

This will install Gdebi Package Manager - do a search for Timeshift download file - open it in Gdebi and then select the removal option - it it does not give that option then it might not have installed correctly - refer to the cheat guide.

zorinantwerp

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:37:44 pm

'I'm using Zorin 9, as it's a prety old laptop, so perhaps this has changed in 12.'

sorry indeed I am talking from the V.12.2 Ultimate . may I suggest you do yourself a favor and upgrade to latest editions of Zorin OS 12.2 – Core, Lite, Ultimate, Business and Education. my computer is 7 years old (Sony Vaio, i3) and it works like a charm.

'Ultimate' is offering total comfort and contributes in future development.

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2017/09/08/z ... em-ever-2/

8-)

wombat140

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:46:06 am

Timeshift is go! While searching for those files again, I found an uninstaller, and that worked. Dunno why the Software Centre and "apt purge" couldn't find it in that case. Then I managed to install it again using those tipsonubuntu.com instructions, and this time for some reason it worked. Thanks v muchh both!

zorinantwerp

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:48:26 pm

right the true spirit of a linux user in never giving up fits you :)
can you go into your first message and 'edit' header by adding (SOLVED)

thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33:30 pm

Good to hear it is [SOLVED] - have marked it for you. ;) :D