This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Latest update reset my start page in Vivaldi

GregRoss

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57:31 pm

Did anyone else have the latest update (sometime around the 12th or 13th of December) of 12.2 decided to reset their start page in Vivaldi, that seems like a user hostile action on the OS's part...

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:00:13 pm

I can't see that being an OS issue personally as whilst Browser's can be bundled with the OS I am not aware that Zorin has that as default software - the OS Browsers are primarily Chromium, Firefox, Web and Midori. To have installed Vivaldi you would have had to install it from Ubuntu repository via Synaptic or from the Vivaldi web site to begin with so the problem is more likely to be the browser. ;) :D

driver8

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29:40 pm

Did the same thing for me to both Chromium and Firefox (which I had set-up because I prefer it). With Chromium I was able to bypass it and set my own homepage. In Firefox it would not let me change it no matter what I did. It would always revert back to a Zorin search as the homepage. It wouldn't even let me set the homepage back to the default Firefox home. I agree that it is bad juju and basically a browser hijack.

I ended up uninstalling Firefox and staying with Chromium. I came here several days ago and wrote a post about it, questioning what was going on, but apparently my posting was moderated out. The system told me since I was a new user my post would have to be reviewed and approved by a moderator and it apparently never was approved.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01:28 pm

Just checked my Firefox Home Page and it is set to blank (Mozilla Firefox Start Page) i.e., the page with all your frequent visits, quick launch (a copy of Opera who I think were the first to introduce web page tiles). But if I launch Chromium I get the usual Zorin/Google issue. I have had updates to Firefox and Vivaldi and no affect on Home Page (Vivaldi.com in respect of the latter). Screenshots to follow.

OK, forgot I was thinking about Zorin and Chromium at work - all my browsers are behaving as they should, including IceCat.

Firefox - Start/Home page:

FirefoxHomePage.jpg

Chromium:

ChromiumStartPage.jpg

Vivaldi Start and Home Page:

VivaldiStartPage.jpg

VivaldiHomePage.jpg

GNU Ice Cat Start Page:

GNU Icecat Start Page.jpg

You are both getting your software updates from 'Main Server' and not your country's Locale Server aren't you ? ;) :D

driver8

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:14:21 pm

You are both getting your software updates from 'Main Server' and not your country's Locale Server aren't you ?

Ahhh...no. No, I was not. If it isn't too long to explain, why is that important? The other servers are behind or corrupted or something?

Thank you for responding by the way. And the comment about main street server appears to have been the answer. I have been messing with it for a couple of hours today - including purging firefox altogether via the terminal and deleting files in in an attempt to start over but had no luck. After the second purge I came back and read your post again and only then decided to check to see what server the updates were coming from. It was set to my local county's server. I changed that, reinstalled firefox and no longer have the home page hijack. All appears to be as it should be.

Why!?...lol. Seriously what is wrong/bad about the individual country servers?

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:32:27 pm

They always seem to be behind - it has always been my advice to members since Zorin 6! ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:36:09 pm

odd to see that same question came forward on the dutch Zorin forum for the Firefox browser.
:)

GregRoss

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:34:35 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I can't see that being an OS issue personally as whilst Browser's can be bundled with the OS I am not aware that Zorin has that as default software - the OS Browsers are primarily Chromium, Firefox, Web and Midori. To have installed Vivaldi you would have had to install it from Ubuntu repository via Synaptic or from the Vivaldi web site to begin with so the problem is more likely to be the browser. ;) :D

Doesn't seem likely that Vivaldi would reset the start page to the Zorin search page... seems more likely something the OS would do.