This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is there an Update notification on Zorin 12 Core?

Hensyr Wolf

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42:35 pm

Hi there,

In Ubuntu and Linux Mint you've got a notification when there is an new update available.
Is there an notifiaction in Zorin OS 12 about new updates?

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:14:46 am

I've managed to demolish my Zorin and now using Cairo Dock DE instead with Compiz! But it's still Zorin 12 but without Zorin tweaks! :lol:

star treker

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:10:47 am

If your not a Windows user, I can see how you can stand the gnome look and whatnot of standard Linux. I however am a previous windows user and I gotta have it look like windows for me lol. Now to answer your question, yes Zorin OS12 has a update notification system. You can see what updates are available by going to the software center. Also, additionally, if you go to the software updater in system tools, you need to change the download location to main server. Then reload the cash, and there will be a system update available.

I understand what Swarf went through, its easy to mess up your OS when your doing special things, which is why its always best to backup your system with Redo. Swarf, you may have Zorin but not the essents of it, its really all about the desktop my man, so sad to see it go, but up to you. lol

Hensyr Wolf

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:47:26 am

Hi Star Treker,

Yes i'm a previous Windows user and the most of the members in the Dutch Community Forum are too Windows users that make their first move to Linux and choose for Zorin OS.
However, in Ubuntu when you startup the computer then you have the updater icon on the left side in the taskbar and when there is an update available the icon blinks to make you aware that there is an update, you can't miss it that way.
In Linux Mint when you start up the computer, the first thing that happend is a window that appears in the middel of your screen to make you aware that there is an update available.

These are the things that i mis in Zorin OS 12. You have to search and open your updatecenter and use it to see if there is an update or you have to look to the software center to see if there is an update. You have to do some things first to see if there is an update. You are not promt with a blinking icon or a message window.
So many users will be miss the updates if they don't get a promt.

I hope there will be some way to get those message on startup of the Zorin desktop.

Sorry for my bad Englisch.

star treker

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:46:51 am

Hey, I thought your English was fine, until you spelt the word English at the end LOL. :D So don't feel bad, I was able to understand you perfectly. Thankyou for giving me some history regarding other Linux based distrobutions. You are correct that it would be a nice thing to have an icon that blinks that lets you know. So you are also right that it might be the case that newcomers to Zorin may not know about the updates that they can get through the software center and updater. Hopefully Zorin users will learn about the updates by playing around in the software center, or if they view the forum and learn about them.

Also keep in mind that if the Zorin team learns about this miner issue, they may role out an update to the system that will give you an icon that blinks, or a window popup about updates. Now that would be nice, even I'd like that. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the forum. I appreciate the time you took to write in English. I actually know of a Dutch lady who is living in Japan right now, she uploads gaming Lets Plays on youtube and she's pretty cool. Once in awhile she will say something in Dutch and it makes me smile lol. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57:32 pm

There used to be a pop-up regularly in earlier versions of Zorin on logging in. In 12 have dig around for 'Notifications' - I got one on the lock screen but it would not say what it was about - when I logged in and got rid of it there was no indication as to what the indication was about! (and that was before I started messing to get Cairo-Dock and Compiz installed. If I can't tweak as best I can I may opt for an even simpler lifestyle of Solyd X communtiy edition - even the menu can be stretched! And it is none PAE which means it will run on older machines too! :D

One more I need to check, which sadly is PAE enabled is Qarango (I think that is what I burned anyway. LOL!

MBMz10

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:46:41 pm

I got this when computer started up this morning. This was Ultimate 64 bit but would imagine the same in core and 32 bit etc.

Zorin12SoftwareUpdater.jpg

star treker

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29:19 pm

OK thats interesting. As I had updates available for my OS and I wasn't getting that, even though I have notifications enable everywhere I can possibly think of on this system. You know one of these days our brains will be connected to computers, so that whenever somebody farts, someone else will get a notification about it and walk out of the room just in time. :P So I am thinking, maybe you get that notification if you hadn't been checking for updates manually for an entire week perhaps? IDK really how the notification system works really with this new OS. Maybe it needs some work from the Zorin team yet, who knows.

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:43:25 pm

I don't get that notification on a Zorin OS 12 Core 64-bit machine

MBMz10

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:17:26 pm

Since taking the above screen shot I have reinstalled and not had the notification since. I no longer feel special.

Swarfendor437 wrote:I've managed to demolish my Zorin and now using Cairo Dock DE instead with Compiz! But it's still Zorin 12 but without Zorin tweaks! :lol:

Yep same here, Cairo does it every time. I did get all the cube and so working but it looks terrible, Zorin theming is gone.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:36:02 pm

Well I did get things back by just looking for Zorin using Synaptic - just trying to be rid of all things Google! :D

Hensyr Wolf

Fri May 12, 2017 7:23:25 pm

We are a great bit furder now since Zorin OS 12.1 Core was released.

But i still have no notification when there are updates available.
Sould we something activate to get update notifications?

Swarfendor437

Sat May 13, 2017 1:44:30 am

Have you changed source to Main server?

Hensyr Wolf

Sat May 13, 2017 5:03:52 am

Hi dear Swarfendor437,

No i have not changed it.
Should i do that?

Swarfendor437

Sat May 13, 2017 11:50:19 am

Yes you should - I generally find things come through a lot better from 'Main Server'. ;) :D