This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] ZorinOS12: how to put program links onto desktop?

abctmp88

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:39:18 am

Dear all,

I have just installed ZorinOS12 (Zorin-OS-12-Core-64-20161120.iso) and testing it.
-> I find that ZorinOS12 removed many nice features in ZorinOS11

e.g. In ZorinOS11, I can create a links to programs in the start menu (i.e. the menu on the lower left hand corner) by simply right click on that target program
-> and there will be a menu item for me to click on, then the corresponding program link will be put on the desktop!
-> this no longer available in ZorinOS12 :evil: :evil: :evil:
-> so how to make this happen again?

Thanks for any kinds of help!

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:01:58 pm

To put link on desktop go to home folder which opens file Explorer, browse computer for usr | share | applications and drag to desktop.

abctmp88

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:21:50 am

Got it, Thanks!

jamieb158

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04:30 pm

The menu is managed by a program called alacarte, all you need to do is "sudo apt-get install alacarte" then type "alacarte" from the terminal, this opens a graphical interface so you can add, remove or edit groups and shortcuts etc.

abctmp88

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23:32 am

jamieb158 wrote:The menu is managed by a program called alacarte, all you need to do is "sudo apt-get install alacarte" then type "alacarte" from the terminal, this opens a graphical interface so you can add, remove or edit groups and shortcuts etc.

just tried, "alacarte " NO LONGER works in ZorinOS12!
-> it can be installed and runs, and do anything it can be in its menu, but it makes no effect on the menu of Zorin!

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05:35 pm

If you upgrade to 12.1 you can just right-click the menu item to place on desktop. ;) :D

Upgrade instructions on the blog - end of lunch break.